Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
had mine cranked up and dropped it back to 50 last night. had it at old spec for about nine months. i re-torqued to old spec several times after maintenace so im happy it is still servicable with no visible damage (the threads). thanks for the information

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks so much for posting this information. I knew there had to be something wrong when I read over 60 lbs for such a small bolt.

·
Thinks hes Superman and can catch a 9mm with his t
137 Posts
shit. I didn't even use a torque wrench....

·
Registered
62 Posts
wish i would have seen this thread before last weekend. just installed the driven 520 kit with-1 and stripped one of the studs when i went back together with it. :banghead calling dealership in the morning to see if they can take care of it since i'm taking it in on thursday for the 14.5k service

·
Banned
635 Posts
Mechanical engineers working with nuts and bolts know the torque figures rougly off the top of their head. They are proportional to the size, so that should give you a rough idea if there is something not to scale when comparing to the other fasteners torque amounts. Once you have a feel for the figures you will know if they are not in the ball park.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Correct torque is 43.5 per the manual on a stock sprocket, that may change on an aftermarket one. It dependes on the material the sprocket is made out of!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just replaced my OEM rear sprocket a few days ago on my 06/600. My manual was correct at 43.5 ft-lbs. However, when installing new sprocket, the nuts were struggling to reach spec. I ended up shy of spec because 1 nut stripped and another locked up and started spinning the lug. :-/ So this time regardless of spec, mine wasn't able to reach 43.5 and especially not 65 or w/e ft-lbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently attempted to change my sprocket on my k7 600. Everything went well until it was time to torque the nuts. I have the original service manual and torqued the nuts to 67 ft-lbs....come to find out, big boo boo. I stripped one of the threads on the studs for the sprocket carrier. Im only concluding this because upon trying to remove the nut, it just continously turns and turns. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or advice that might help me out in this situation?? Thank you very very much.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh my. Stupid manual. I just torqued mine, stopped at 60ft-lbs cause it felt like i was deforming the studs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just an FYI, I just removed my nuts from 60 ft-lbs with no damage to the studs. I think i might get aftermarket nuts though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those of you with aftermarket nuts on your sprocket... Make sure you check the torque rating for yours specifically, mine is only rated to 29.5 ft-lbs. 43.5, and especially 60+ would've destroyed them.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts