Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if anyone has a rear shock for their 1000 preference and why. Ohlins, Penske, Elka, Fox, etc. Pro and cons would be helpful too.
What im really looking for is anyone who has used Elka or Fox brand shocks. Im always researching new things and would like to know any benefits..good or bad.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
if your riding in the streets the stock shock is great compared to older shocks on all most bikes. they are awesome! but if you want it for looksand performance, than the OHLINS should be in your buying list.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
by the way, if you want the ohlins shock i have one available as a spare brand ne never use and teh other one is on my bike. the new one in hand are set up different. the preload adjuster is located clamp to the shock. mine is different. mine is loacted on the left passenger footpegs. let me know if you want them

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
how much you selling um for
also...look at this one...wut do u think
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...A%3AIT&rd=1

ummm if im gonna buy anyhing above 500 the brand better be pleasin to my eye. im not familiar with elka. i would rather stick to stock if i was to get that. maybe they perform but they are just too new to racers riders etcetc i don't know but if you do get them let us know how you like um on the streets.
im selling the ohlins 1000even shipped. they are brand new never been on the bike. preload loacted on the shock it self. myself, i like this one better as it looks neat

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
No one should try selling a GSXR shock and list it as applicable to the K1 through K5. All the K-series stock shocks had different lengths, spring rates and internal valving. My K2 Ohlins was waaay different from the K3 Ohlins that I bought, and the K3 Ohlins had to be substantially modified to fit my K5 (shorter shock length of 4mm, with a new clevis).

My guess is that the Elka unit on ebay will not fit the K5, without at least modifying its shock length. In any case, the rear brake fluid reservoir will need to be displaced from its stock location to accomodate that massive-looking Elka nitrogen canister.

To Coldstreetz --- Its Ohlins, I say. That's what you need!

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
Ohlins makes nice stuff, but they won't sell it to you. Buy the Ohlins shock if you plan on sending it to someone like Stig at PPS for correct valving. Also they are notorious for having the damping circuits overlap. That means adjusting the rebound affects compression and vice versa. The Penske shock is better than the Ohlins shock you can actually buy. It can be ordered valved and sprung to your weight and riding and is much easier to service. No overlap either. Elka I have no experience with, but they are reputed to be closer in spec to the Penske than the Ohlins, and cheaper than both. Fox is garbage and getting parts for them is a nightmare. Wilbers is another wildcard that has some economic advantages over a Penske when comparing fully loaded shocks. They are only sold as a custom built unit with at least a 6 week wait.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
Ohlins makes nice stuff, but they won't sell it to you. Buy the Ohlins shock if you plan on sending it to someone like Stig at PPS for correct valving. Also they are notorious for having the damping circuits overlap. That means adjusting the rebound affects compression and vice versa. The Penske shock is better than the Ohlins shock you can actually buy. It can be ordered valved and sprung to your weight and riding and is much easier to service. No overlap either. Elka I have no experience with, but they are reputed to be closer in spec to the Penske than the Ohlins, and cheaper than both. Fox is garbage and getting parts for them is a nightmare. Wilbers is another wildcard that has some economic advantages over a Penske when comparing fully loaded shocks. They are only sold as a custom built unit with at least a 6 week wait.
palo said it all really.. penske is the way to go in my opinion for the reasons listed above.. although the ohlins is still a great shock.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback...im gonna do more research and let you guys know how it goes.
it will most likely be between penske or ohlins.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Penske triple the best
Ohlins triple
Penske double
Elka < But not to sure
Ohlins double
Fox
Stock valved/sprung
stock

·
Registered
797 Posts
No one should try selling a GSXR shock and list it as applicable to the K1 through K5. All the K-series stock shocks had different lengths, spring rates and internal valving. My K2 Ohlins was waaay different from the K3 Ohlins that I bought, and the K3 Ohlins had to be substantially modified to fit my K5 (shorter shock length of 4mm, with a new clevis).

My guess is that the Elka unit on ebay will not fit the K5, without at least modifying its shock length. In any case, the rear brake fluid reservoir will need to be displaced from its stock location to accomodate that massive-looking Elka nitrogen canister.

To Coldstreetz --- Its Ohlins, I say. That's what you need!
I just looked through that guys feedback, doesn't look good,...

·
Registered
113 Posts
And the #1 reason to NOT buy an Elka: Because Max McAllister of Traxxion Dynamics sells them and claims to have helped develop them. He single-handedly made it where joe schmoe racers like me lost our ability to buy Penske shocks at just above dealer cost from Lockhart-Phillips. And he did it because it was causing him to not be able to sell Penske himself for full retail. He is not a racer's friend.

And on top of that, I bought my Penske shock for my '00 R6 racebike from Max, AND I had my forks valved and sprung by him. And, at the same time, I put on a pipe and jetting and got a valve job and degreed cams, which gave me an extra 10 HP over stock. THEN, I spent the next year going to races and visiting Max and getting him to tweak my suspension. And at the end of that, I was still not going ANY faster than I had been with stock motor and suspension.

I finally gave up on Max and paid GMD Computrack to setup my bike. In one weekend, I picked up 2 seconds per lap at Jennings GP, and the next time I went to Roebling Road, I went 2 seconds per lap faster there, also.

I paid Max a lot of money for suspension and he either didn't have the time or the knowledge to actually help me make it work. At this point, between that and how he shafted all us racers on Penske pricing, I would not spend a dime on his products or any product he endorses.

Pen-ske! Pen-ske! Pen-ske!

·
Registered
113 Posts
And what Palomartian said is dead-on about Ohlins. OTOH, I have never heard of anybody needing to revalve a Penske before putting it on a bike. Normally, the Penskes are valved just right, out of the box. And they don't have the cross-talk between rebound and compression like Ohlins does.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Well just to add another option , I've run Ohlins in the past and been happy with them.

A mate talked me into a WP 4618 rear shock for my K2 and it's frigin awesome.

Hi and Low Comp adjustment, reb, length adjustable and I got the Hyd preloader for the wank factor.

It works spot on for road and track and it never gives up.

It's what the Corona guys used in the WSB K3's

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
So are you guys saying that you would notice a difference between the Penske and the Ohlins on the street or are you talking pure race track experience here?

This part about the valving effecting both rebound/compression could explain why the Ohlins is super sensitive to adjustments or?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just got my Ohlins from Hard Racing. They had them in stock, plus they ask you your weight and set the shock accordingly to your size. The only thing you mess with are minor setting nothing major. No biggie

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I just got my Ohlins from Hard Racing. They had them in stock, plus they ask you your weight and set the shock accordingly to your size. The only thing you mess with are minor setting nothing major. No biggie
make sure you get your ohlins revalved and sprung correctly..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts