Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to go ahead and do the USD forks....
Going to start collecting the necessary items....

Now for the shock.....Since its 13 yrs old, and nothings been done to it, where should i start....

New oil, seals, and new spring for my weight?

Or just get rid of it and look for a fox.

Will just be street riding with this bike....I was wondering if anyone has used a later model shock on an 89 or around that year....

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I had my OEM rear shock re-charged with nitrogen and I'm happy as a clam with that on my `89 1100. `Course, I only weigh about 140lbs too... Last I looked, Fox was about $500 new for the `89. I'm pretty sure that racetech has a gold valve emulator for the OEM shock too... good luck figuring it out!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Regarding shock rebuilders.

In the SF Bay Area Aftershocks is held in really high regard. www.aftershocks-suspension.com

A lot of WERA racers and people further east swear by Traxxion Dynamics. www.traxxion.com

Linderman Engineering has been around a long time though I've heard some bashing of them in the past. www.le-suspension.com

Finally Racetech has a lot of "service centers" which do rebuilds but I don't think they're nearly as knowledgeable as the places listed above.

Most of those places have prices on their sites, but a basic recharge and oil change is usually something like $75, new seals can add $50 to that, and then if you're actually getting it revalved you can add $100-150 more. I think most GSXR shocks can be made to work pretty well with a good setup but I'm sure any of those shops can give you a good rundown of your options. I would definitely say it's worth shipping your shock off to one of the known shops above than dealing with a smaller local guy unless you have some good references on them.

Matt

·
Registered
151 Posts
If your looking to get the spring replaced with something setup for your weight, figure between $75-$100, thats if there are replacements available for your stocker.

Now if you add that to the ballpark figures that MDill listed above, your not too far from getting a Fox all setup. Something to consider anyways.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info........

East Coast Riders....???????

I've had work done on my dirtbike by Mickey Kessler ( KPS suspension )....Has anyone used him for the Gixxer?

Hes local, and has hooked me up in the past!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where would one look for a Works shock?

How much are they?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Well for once I am inclined to disagree with Dwayne, here is my advice hunt ebay for a used (sometimes you can get a new one for cheap though) fox shock, send it to fox for a complete re-build, which they do to your specs and riding style, a used fox on ebay will run ya 50-200 bux and a complete re-build will run ya about 200 bux, I spoke to works performance a custom sprung top of the line shock from them is 610 bux
, ntm all I have heard from some people that I trust(racers and ex-racers) the works shocks are way under sprung and the valving sux
go with fox or the standard ohlins imho
-Karl

·
Registered
257 Posts
A little on Works:

They're well known and repected for their great twin shock and vintage shocks, but a bit less well known for their single shocks and I don't really think they're on the cutting edge for modern sports bikes. Personally I dealt with them trying to get a set of older twin shocks rebuilt and they were a raging pain in the ass (basically said a rebuild would cost more than new shocks, then they sent my old ones back disassembled and missing pieces, charged me an inspection fee on top of that, and wouldn't return phone calls when I called about the missing pieces). I really can't recommend them, especially their service department.

For my GSXR I did what KJ1 says, I got a used Fox for $35 (huge deal), got it serviced for $100 by Aftershocks and called it a day. After I sold my old shock for $75 to a guy racing a GS500 (apparently they're a popular swap) it only ended up running me $60.

Matt

·
Registered
316 Posts
z1bigtom-

I had Mickey Kessler lower the height of my old zx7s forks for dragracing. he did a great job and was reasonable. I would at least call him and see what he can do for you because he is local and could probably save you some $$ as compared to buying a fox or any aftermarket shock.

-Dave

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have to agree with Mdill. I recently got a Works off Ebay for my 11. I've sent roughly 6 emails and called twice requesting information on servicing/rebuild. I have yet to hear back from these people. Just FYI.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
As you can tell opnions are like assholes we all have one. Now for mine for the mony I'd go with a Fox (have one on the 88 w/the SRS link) works almost as good as the 1100.00 Ohlins on my 90. Ohilns is great but you can get a Fox to work almost as well for half the money. Works makes a good Drag race shock but I have not heard much about the street stuff.
Bones

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Called Mickey today.......80.00 for oil, and nitrogen....If any hard parts neeed replacing, u know the drill......

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kessler Pro Suspension
4124 Atlantic Ave.
Farmingdale, NJ 07727

732 974 0985

Tell him BIG TOM sent ya!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sorry to drag this one up, but...
I've been running a Works on my '90 Katana and have been satisfied. They start at about $475. I haven't decided what the "project" is going to get. The bike had a '94 inspection sticker on it, when I bought it a couple of weeks ago and I think the shock (among other things) is a lost cause. I think that by the time I added everything up, aftermarket may be the cheaper way to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put a Fox on my 87 back in about 89 or 90 (it's been so long, I can't remember for sure). It was, by far, the biggest single improvement I've ever made in the bike. It is a world of difference in handling.

Be sure to get the spring set for your specific weight.

I just had my Fox rebuilt (by Fox) after 25k miles. Fortunately, the shock was in good shape. Unfortunately, we had to up the spring rate to compensate for my horizontal expansion in the intervening years...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts