Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, probably gonna need to refurb my rear brake MC
But for the price of a kit I can just as well get a 2nd hand one off the net, was wondering what other rear MC's would fit, since for the same money, I can get more recent models

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,136 Posts
If it's not obvious, get the pn of your MC and check where else it's used. Beyond that, get the piston diameter from your service manual. Anything that you get should have a very similar diameter.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's not obvious, get the pn of your MC and check where else it's used. Beyond that, get the piston diameter from your service manual. Anything that you get should have a very similar diameter.
I'm actually more concerned with the distance of the mountingholes, I was referring to swapping the entire GSX-R MC for something coming off a BKing, or SV or GSX-S, etc.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,136 Posts
You're sort of putting the cart before the horse. The same part from a different application will mount identically. A MC with the wrong diameter won't work even if it mounts the same unless you're prepared to alter the mechanical ratio of the pedal. There's a fair chance that an adapter could be fabricated to mount one with the right diameter but the wrong mount.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You're sort of putting the cart before the horse. The same part from a different application will mount identically. A MC with the wrong diameter won't work even if it mounts the same unless you're prepared to alter the mechanical ratio of the pedal. There's a fair chance that an adapter could be fabricated to mount one with the right diameter but the wrong mount.
If I check the compatibility of the piston/cup set and pushrod HERE
It's interchangeable on almost everything Suzuki including the Hamamatsu kitchen sink (realistically: not all, but a lot of different models),
so diameter/mechanical ratio doesn't seem to be much of an issue
Things like a longer pushrod on the Vstrom would be, but the topmounted hose connection on a K6 750 OTOH might not

·
Registered
467 Posts
I would do a refurb on yours, you buy another you have no idea what your getting ( most likely have to refurb ).

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's on there, a GSX-S 1000 MC
Couldn't use the reservoir, but had to use the rubber hose, since the connection on the MC is a smaller diameter than on the 1000K5 MC
Luckily it was possible to turn the banjo on the brakeline, since the connection is now on the top, instead of the side
Now, I don't think the travel would be quite as extreme, but it does give me some peace of mind that the pressure switch isn't hanging above the swingarm anymore

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I would do a refurb on yours, you buy another you have no idea what your getting ( most likely have to refurb ).
+1. You're going to spend $$ on another used unit which means you'll have to spend $$ to refurb it too?

Dave

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1. You're going to spend $$ on another used unit which means you'll have to spend $$ to refurb it too?
Replaced an 05 MC for a '15 MC for less money

I did this under the experience the MC on my 750k6 never needed a refurb in all 12.5 years I rode around on it
I suspect the very low mileage(/disuse) over time on this bike didn't do the MC a favor

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'd never just install a used MC without refurbishing it first. You don't know what happened to it, how it was stored, etc. I've installed a few used ones and you'd be surprised at what you might find after disassembling it; sometimes they are not even rebuildable due to corrosion as they sat with moisture in them for a while.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The rear bms for the gsxr's and a heap of other models like the bandits etc from my experience are interchangeable.
My hayabusa rear went bust and I got one of a bandit 12 and it just needed a new mounting hole drilled into her and drive on,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts