Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike and the rear fairings are broke right under the passenger seat or where the cowel is. A buddy of mine has the same year and bike, and the same issue. It cracks right behind the rubber circles with screws in it, and then makes the whole rear loose. Making the tail light bounce up and down quite a bit when I ride etc. It's going going to fall off, but it's annoying to hear people tell me over and over about how it's loose.

Anyone have experience with fixing this by chance? I was thinking Zip Ties instead of new fairings, cause it usually cracks over time with people getting on the back..

·
Registered
265 Posts
if you are going to DIY fix fairings then a few things iv found have worked well.
Firstly, work out what caused the break (they shouldnt break on their own). Fix the problematic mounting points first otherwise itll just put pressure on the the plastics again and rebreak it after you have fixed it.
To fix the actual plastic breaks i recommend using 2 part epoxy glue and also embedding wire mesh in the glue against the plastic for extra strength. also scratch up the plastic to really get the glue to hold in there. iv had it hold fairing cracks together even under pretty decent stresses.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had this happen to my K9 also gave up trying to fix it as it kept cracking to went with a carbon fibre one instead and replaced it.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Is this happening with OEM bodywork??

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,718 Posts
I can't tell where you're referring to. We need some pics. One reason that the OEM plastic cracks is that owners replace stepped mounting screws with non-stepped as part of installing something or for some other reason. A fender eliminator is an example. The non-stepped screws clamp down on the plastic, which leads to cracking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts