Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Rear disc getting red hot

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SPL170db 
#1 ·
This weekend for the 2nd time on my K5 in 1400kms the rear disc gets so hot I can set fire to a piece of paper.The 1st time the dealer took the pads out and said that he guesses a stone got stuck between the pad and the disc.Now this has happened for the 2nd time and both times I had a pillion,doesnt seem to happen when I ride alone.The wheel is in straight and the wheel is free.Any ideas anybody?

#2 ·
And I have the most irritating SQUEEK on mine every time I grab the front brakes that I can hear it on the track over my pipe in my lid braking from most speeds. Dealers mumbled something about bedding 'em in but i've done two track days... how much more bedding in does it need? Anyone have any suggestions what could be causing this?

#3 ·
If your brakes are squeeking that loud and you've already done a couple of track days, perhaps you broke the pads in too hard and now they're glazed over. Glazed pads will be noisy and result in reduced braking performance.

#4 ·
If your rear disc is getting that hot, it must be rubbing on the pads. Do you notice any extra drag when you're riding with a passenger?

Are you positive the alignment's perfect?

Maybe it's possible that something is happening when you have a pillion on that is causing the rear brake to become stuck on. This may sound like obvious stuff, but maybe the passenger is accidentally hitting the brake hose, not allowing hydraulic pressurem to be released when you let off the rear brake. And as silly as it sounds, are you sure you're not just keeping your feet farther forward on the pegs when you have a passenger, and accidentally dragging the rear brake yourself? Or perhaps just relying on the rear brake more for some reason when you have a passenger?

Are you sure that you don't notice this problem at all when you ride by yourself?

#5 ·
Sounds like something is dragging you rear brakes. I remember watching a dirttrack race once and some guy's rear brake was damaged a little when he made contact with another rider. It caused the rear brakes to drag constantly and eventually heated up the disc glowing red. You might want to go through the whole system and make sure everything is as it should be.

#6 ·
I had the same problem. My rear brake got so hot it was smoking and the black center section of the rotor is now discolored.

Here is what I did.

• Loosed the brake way out.
• Checked the pads for damage and made sure they were not past the wear mark.
• Re –adjusted the rear brake as per the service manual.
• Vacuum bleed the rear brake.
• Rode it using the bake brake hard.
• Vacuum bleed it one more time.

All seems to be OK now.

#9 ·
Myne also smoked and now is also discolored.I will 1st check all the basics which fleshrocket mentioned and if I'm not convinced that it is me that is causing it to happen I will follow rraiders steps.
Can the heat cause any damage for the reason that I should rather take it to the dealer to check certain parts or will all be in order for me to just do it myself?

#10 ·
Myne also smoked and now is also discolored.I will 1st check all the basics which fleshrocket mentioned and if I'm not convinced that it is me that is causing it to happen I will follow rraiders steps.
Can the heat cause any damage for the reason that I should rather take it to the dealer to check certain parts or will all be in order for me to just do it myself?
Excessive heat will cause your discs to warp, burn up your brake fluid, your pads might be toast, I'd also check and make sure that the seals in the caliper are still OK too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.