Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new rear tire mounted yesterday. So I after I put the rim back on, I decided to take it for a spin. I immediately noticed a nastry vibration when I used the rear brake. I pulled over to the side of the road and noticed that the right side of my rear rotor (when standing behind the bike looking forward) is Hammered! The rotor was literally grinding against the caliper/caliper brackets itself, with no pad contact on the right side whatsoever. So my first thought was that perhaps I'd managed to drop the right side pad while re-installing the rim (and mounting the caliper). So I rode slowly back home (only using the front brakes) so that I could remove the tire and and check. NOPE. The both right and left pads are still in place, however when my rear brakes lever is pressed only the left side piston is extending. The right side piston/pad remained collapsed. Naturally this caused the caliper itself to make contact w/ my rotor.

My question is...any idea what would cause the Right side piston to remain stationary when the brake lever is depressed? Perhaps caliper disassembly and lubing will solve the problem? It's looks to be just 2 bolts holding the caliper halves together...is that correct?

My other question is Bleeding. I did a search on here (waste of time
) to find a "how to" on bleeding...I had no luck. I've bled brakes on cars...but never on my bike. Any tips pointer for the rear brakes? Where are the bleed valves? Recommended brake fluid? Any help is appreciated!

·
Les lions Indomptables !
680 Posts
bump for help. i have the exact problem on my 01 1K....and i am still searching the forums.....

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,233 Posts
While you had the wheel off you should have checked the caliper bores for buildup of brake dust, etc. and cleaned it out. Such crap may be causing one side to stick. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to disassemble the caliper and see what's wrong.

There are threads up the ying yang about bleeding here. For example this. Note the comments about multiple bleeders. Do a google search for "bleed rear brakes site:gixxer.com/forums/" or "bleed brakes site:gixxer.com/forums/" for more. Sportbiketrackgear has a how-to video on bleeding.

·
Les lions Indomptables !
680 Posts
^ Many thanks.

Some more info.

When i have the caliper off the rotor, and press the rear brake slowly, i can see both pistons extending, however, when mounted on the rotor, and after several rear brake lever presses, only the left piston extends, and the right brake pad is flush in the caliper, causing the caliper to rub against the rotor...

·
Registered
147 Posts
If the pads are moving when the caliper is off the bike, then . . .
to start at the beginning, are you absolutely sure the wheel has been refitted correctly (I mean the spacers), as per the manual??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts