Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my r/r, stator, and battery are all new, just to start off with. i was riding along, bored in slow traffic, and put my hand down to warm it up, and noticed that a part of the r/r wires were really hot and had melted a portion of the tail fairing. the last time i touched them while riding, they werent that hot. im concerned this is the begining of a new issue. the plug has been eliminated and was hard wired. i dont think i crossed any of the wires from the stator, but i dont think that would even cause an issue? i used a 6" length of 12ga wire just incase i ever had to remove anything and needed to splice it back together. ambient temp was about 65-70

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
damn dude, you are having allot of problems with your charging system. seems like every thread you post is the charging system. i'm not sure why they would get hot enough to melt your plastics, is the r/r and stator brand new or used and new to you. i hard wired mine with 12ga wire and havn't had any probs with the wires getting too hot. did you solder the connections or use butt splices?

·
Premium Member
6,364 Posts
take a look at the rest your harness. maybe you have a large draw. i would start with the yellow plug that has the wires for the headlights. maybe the pins for the headlighs are corroded but still getting enought juice threw to give you light.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all the parts were brand new from dennis kirk. all of the wiring is tight. i did use butt connectors. i went over grounds when i had the starting issues before. i dont have any starting issues, ive checked all the connections, but i will recheck that head light plug since they have the most draw. where it was at, the sheath had come off and it was just the wires alone. what is on there from the manufacturer seems to be that fiberglass heat barrier. i was also thinking of wire tying them to the subframe for heat dissapation. i know its normal for the r/r to get hot, but not the wires

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
You can also affix a cpu fan to your regulator to keep the heat down in that area.
Honda VFR's are notorious for regulator problems and do the cpu fan trick as well.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
My wires get hot as well after about 30 minutes of riding.
I would drop the but connectors and solder them together.

John

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
My wires get hot as well after about 30 minutes of riding.
I would drop the but connectors and solder them together.

John
def. I think the butt connectors may be contributing to your problem, my wires melted once and i used butt connectors to fix and they melted again. after that i bought a soldering gun and soldered all the connections and put shrink tube over the solders. No problems since, not to mention it looks allot cleaner.:cheers

·
Premium Member
6,364 Posts
with the heat that builds up it affects the copper so a crimp may not get a good connection even if there is alot of heat you may find it hard to get them to take solder.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
alright, ill go about soldering it when i get some time again. i do have a couple cpu fans laying around, what would be the best way to wire it? i also want to upgrade to led tail/brake lights to reduce draw and increase visibility
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/1157-R19W6_motorcycle_bulb.htm
I would wire it to anything that comes on with the key. The tail light wiring is the closest thing to the rectifier itself and a good place to tap in to!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Keep something in mind.

The heat that is created by the R/R is the way that the unit spends the extra voltage created by the charging system. As well as the extra amps that are not being used.

SOOOOO with that said, I would not be surprised if you put LED bulbs in and had the R/R get even more hot.

John

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
Keep something in mind.

The heat that is created by the R/R is the way that the unit spends the extra voltage created by the charging system. As well as the extra amps that are not being used.

SOOOOO with that said, I would not be surprised if you put LED bulbs in and had the R/R get even more hot.

John
Quickest way to cook a srad harness is to install anything that requires a ballast to operate it. (H.I.D./Neons/L.E.D.)
Over the years, in weight saving measures, wiring has gone from rope to thread in size. Harnesses just can handle anything out of the norm!
Factor in aging and corroded connections and your rectifier quickly becomes a George Forman grill.

·
Banned
10,466 Posts
I've said it before - while the hardwired R/R will work - it will eventually fail. Mine did the exact same thing.

agreed on the neons - my bike came with neons - was cool for about 3 weeks till the entire charging systems started failing. Did the hard wire trick - removed the neons - everything was cool. The hardwire started to fail - eventually replaced the charging system...then eventually replaced the entire harness.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
i don't understand how just bypassing a plug could cause it to fail. it is proven that plug will fail by all the people on here who have complained about a melted plug. mine has been hardwired for about 1.5 years and i have had no issues after soldering the connections, and thats riding it everyday.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I doubt that the bypassing of the plug is causing any problems.

I would be more likely to say that once the plug is melted, the R/R already will likely be damaged and then over time will quickly go down hill. If you catch it fast enough, it might not have a problem.

I hard wired mine, it failed. replaced with a new hardwired unit at about 20K miles and have been fine since. Keep in mind, the bike is rode hard and in high heat (110+ days sometimes).

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, i found out the hard way today that the butt connectors had in fact melted. now, what are the chances of that destroying my new r/r and stator? i noticed leaving work that my tach/speedo stopped working, then the lights dimmed, then started losing power and i shut it down. it was maybe 3 miles from work. i trailered it home. first time i have ever been stranded somewhere. i may have been able to fix it if i had tape, but i didnt want to chance destroying the charging system. i dont think any of the wires crosses, just broke off in the butt connectors. if it was either way, what are the chances?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If they did not cross, you should be ok.

John

·
Premium Member
6,364 Posts
cut a good bit of wire out too. i cut almost a foot out of my harness. and for the 3 phases off the stator i pulled the pins out of the conector and put new wire right up a few inches from the rr. if the strands in the wire are black then you probly will not get solder to take.. if the wire has been heated it will get tempered and will be hard enough to solder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts