Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a dragpipe on my 891100.....I have a severe "dead spot" around 9000rpm. The bike seemed to be running a little rich when I bought it.......it came with a 4-2-1 micron exhaust......but had no dead spots. Any jet kit suggestions?? Which brand would be the best for my application? This bike will be dragraced only.

I also pulled off the K+N's airfilters....seemed to help a little..........

thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
oldskoolgix, it sounds like to me that your carbs are rich. if you pulled off your filters and it ran better, that means your carbs are getting more air and leaning out. i believe that you are running stock cv 36s? i have a stage 3 dynojet kit in mine and i am running 160 jets. if you have a flat spot at 9000 rpms, that is a main jet problem. if you are having a "rich" problem, try downsizing your main jets. also, there is no better way to determine if you are "lean" or "rich" than to check your spark plugs. if they are chalky and white, its lean. if they are dark, wet, and smell like gas, there rich. the way to get an exact check is to run you bike at full throttle, like at a drag srtip, then kill the ignition. if you let your bike idle, the plugs will not give an exact reading. i know this sounds like a pain, but it works. hope this helps!

[ 05-21-2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: cide ]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ok..if its ONLY going to be dragraced..sell the Micron and invest in a Vance and Hines ProPipe (megaphone drag pipe that looks like the sidewinder but you dont need to rake your frame to use them)..you can find one used in great shape for $125 or so. New they run around $300 so its not a huge sum either way. Now carbs..if its only for racing and you want an easy setup..buy 'Lectrons. The best thing about the lectrons is they are VERY simple to adjust and tune as you build your bike and they will basicly "re jet" for different weather. If you want to go with carbs..38s work great on your bike with velocity stacks. Ask away if you have any more questions. Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts