Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have not received my K5. I know several of you have put a bunch of miles on yours by now. Was wondering if any had found it helpful, because of the taller 1st gear, to change the gearing on your bikes for street riding? When Yamaha and Kawasaki went with the taller 1st gear a lot of riders went down 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket. Do you feel this would be helpful? I should just wait until mine comes in and ride it and decide for myself but just asking others opinions.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
688 Posts
I still have not received my K5. I know several of you have put a bunch of miles on yours by now. Was wondering if any had found it helpful, because of the taller 1st gear, to change the gearing on your bikes for street riding? When Yamaha and Kawasaki went with the taller 1st gear a lot of riders went down 1 tooth on the countershaft sprocket. Do you feel this would be helpful? I should just wait until mine comes in and ride it and decide for myself but just asking others opinions.

Thanks

I'll tell you what......Before I even start break-in I'm going to gear down. This will save the clutch from excessive slipping during lauches and prevent Lugging of the motor (something you must try to avoid during break-in)

Rode the bike this weekend. IMO unless you need to go 175 plus, there's no reason in the world not to gear it down and throw on some good tires as soon as possible if your a scratcher.

dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've only got 170 miles on mine so far, but it has so much grunt down low, I haven't noticed any need for any kind of unusual clutch slippage to get going (with stock gearing).

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've got about 400 miles on mine now and I'll probably go down a tooth in the front. First gear is way too tall, I'ld rather have a little more git-up-and-go.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't find 1st gear that tall at all. It doesn't seem too much different than my '02. However, I don't think I would regear especially in the front, because the bike seems to "feel" like it's revving too high at 75-80 mph as it is, wouldn't want to make any vibrations worse. One tooth in the front equals three in the rear right? Sounds like too much. Leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
234 Posts
How about this one...scrap that heavy rear sprocket and get a nice light aluminum one and go up two teeth!!! Plus you can get a black one to color match the bike. Sounds like the solution to me. Must I be the only one that's heard of this? (for all you Cliff Cleaven fans out there!)

·
Registered
919 Posts
yo i think i'll go with sdstew's idea on this one (if i choose to do anything with the gearing) - i like the idea of changing the rear more than the front (weight savings), plus black sprokets do look tight.

more input from k5 riders would be great!

btw - hope to pick mine up weds 4/13

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did this mod on my K1 1000 and it was the best mod I did, better than exhaust or PC!!! Really quickened the throttle response. I did the resistor mod to remove the speed restriction and my bike pulled to 190mph on the dyno. Those mods gave me the same basic power feel that I have on my stock K5. Can't wait to do those same mods to my new bike!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the gearing is just a tad high in 1st. but you get used to it very fast and it really has so much torque down low that it pulls it no problem. Two teeth in back would be my choice.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just picked my k5100 last thurs. anyone notice strange noise when launching from a stop? On more than one ocassion ive heard some shit I didnt like, I havent really got into it hard since it is still breakin period, and could very well be me not used to working the clutch properly, but something sounded wierd. twist throttle letting clutch out to gooo and sounded like it slipped or something....ideas? anyone?

·
Registered
303 Posts
going up 2 teeth in the rear is the optimal setup for the 05 1000.
you wont lose any noticable topend and your low to mid will be serious!
520 conversion and 44 all the way

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey itchin2, I picked up my gsxr last wed, and I've noticed a noise that concerned me as well when taking off. It seems like it happened when it was bogging. Giving it a little more gas on take off seemed to cure it. I was gonna check it out at the dealer, but unfortunatly a gun to my head made me give my yellow/black away (with only 60 miles on it)

·
Banned
564 Posts
I went 17/45 520 conversion....By the way it was 17% off ...I have a yellow box installed.
i have the same gearing and it works very well. its seems to put you in the power range in most lower speed corners. to run the same corner in 1st the power range was to high and wanted to wheelie as soon as you were on the throttle. with my 15/45 and 520 it puts me in perfect range in second to accelerate out of the corner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts