Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about a rattling/vibrating noise around 5k on my bike. I notice it the most when cruising along at 5k. If I go under or over 5k the rattling/vibrating noise seems to diminish. Any info on what this noise could be? I heard that the cam chain tensioner makes noises when it starts to wear. I wasn't sure so I thought I'd post and see what everyone has to say.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was out riding today and noticed that the rattling sound is happening around 4300rpm or so and gets louder up until 5000rpm. I'm not exactly sure what it may be. I was thinking it was my cam chain tensioner going or something because it kind of sounds like a chain hitting/rubbing against a metal cover really fast. I also thought it might be my stock damper. Mine's really loose and moves up and down very easily. I'm getting the parts to fix it next week. I don't think that's what it is though. I don't want to end up severely messing my bike up (nobody does), so any information I can use is appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If the sound is coming from the right hand side, its the Cam Chain Tensioner. Go grab an APE manual CCT. The factory CCTs are crap, they rely on hydrolic pressure from the oil and a ratcheting mechanism that does not always work. The same thing happened with mine. It is pretty important that you take care of this because skipping timing the wrong way will kill your engine.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really sure which side it is. Kind of sounds like it's the left (when on the bike), but it really sounds like the whole bike is making the noise (engine area, obviously). How do I check to see if it's my CCT making the nosie? Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Without taking off the valve cover to check the deflection of the cam chain, there is no way of checking if it is the CCT if you do not know what it really sounds like. Some people say it sounds like a diesel, but that is when the CCT is really bad. The best thing to do is to swap out another CCT and then check it, or go off and do the preventative alternative of just swapping it out of a manual one that will not fail.

If you do by chance pull the valve cover, no more than 1/4'' of deflection at the top between the cams is what is spec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.