Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you guys that helped give me some ideas on this problem it worked!!! We pulled the camchain out and it was as stretched as far as it can go. We noticed that the CCT was tightened down as far as it could go and that was the problem. I changed the camchain and the camchain guides and the noise is gone. HELL YEAH!!!! See you guys on the road or at LAGUNA SECA this year. Thanks for all your help..........!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Tell me again what year is your bike??? I found out with RatMans bike that in 98 they used a different guide then they did in the 99s. IMHO you would be better off getting the 99 guide not the 98. It is much stronger, and thicker so you would have more adjustment with the manual CCT... But I understad if you have put the new ones in.. it would be a pain to open it back up unless the guide goes bad... or you have some other reason to be in there...

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yea man...CONCRATS
!!! I know how it feels to not know what the problem is...glad you solved it. I hope my bikes problem is a cam chain too and not a valve. Have fun ridin

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm hearing a "rattling" noise as well coming from the front of my bike both when i accelerate and when i left of the throttle...any ideas on what this could be..as crazy as this may sound it almost sounded like it was my keys on the key chain but i tried it with only one key on there and that definitley was not the problem....

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Check your head bearings... That is what it sounds like....

John

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Originally posted by Win:
Hey Guys, I'm hearing a "rattling" noise as well coming from the front of my bike both when i accelerate and when i left of the throttle...any ideas on what this could be..as crazy as this may sound it almost sounded like it was my keys on the key chain but i tried it with only one key on there and that definitley was not the problem....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How many miles on your bike, and what year?

If you don't have too many miles, it is probably your cam chain tensioner. You should replace it with a manual one from APE. Check out http://www.gsxrzone.com. They don't have the part listed there, but they should have the phone # that you can call to order it. It should be around $65 with the gasket and shipping.

If you have over 15K miles, it could be that your cam chain needs replacing. If you do this, you should probably change out the tensioner and the tensioning guide at the same time. Order the cam chain and guide from a local dealer, or if you don't mind waiting and want it cheaper, try http://www.ronayers.com. You should also probably get the '99 version of the guide, it should be thicker and better than the older ones.

Just to make sure that I'm giving you the right advice, it shoudl sound like a loud clicking coming from the right side of the motor. Some people say it sounds like a dieseling engine.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
788 Posts
So did you put in a cam chain with a link in it? Otherwise this seems like a major task?
I've got about 40Kmi on my chain, seems fine now but was wondering how easy ( or hard/dealer/$$$$$$$$) a replacement might be......

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If you have 40K miles on your chain, I would replace it even if it isnt makin any noise... That is a lot og miles for one chain... most shops i talk to replace that at a max 30K. I have see a lot of them start to have problems at about 15 - 20K.

The cost of a chain is about 100 from a dealer.. and I think we found it on the net for less.... but not by a lot... so if you can wait, you should try looking..

It would take me about 3 hours maybe 4 hours to change the chain if I was working alone and working fast... I would set out a day for it and make sure you have the book.. you need to know how to time your cams to make it work correct.. or else you could really hurt the motor.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by ratman69:
Congrats! I hope my bike is nice and quiet too, when it's done.

How many miles did you have on the bike?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have 15,000 miles on my 96. I guess I ride it too hard...........Nahhhhhh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
Tell me again what year is your bike??? I found out with RatMans bike that in 98 they used a different guide then they did in the 99s. IMHO you would be better off getting the 99 guide not the 98. It is much stronger, and thicker so you would have more adjustment with the manual CCT... But I understad if you have put the new ones in.. it would be a pain to open it back up unless the guide goes bad... or you have some other reason to be in there...

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My 750 is a 96. I just can't believe that it started rattling so soon at 15,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by 96GIXXSHEEZY7FEEZY:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My 750 is a 96. I just can't believe that it started rattling so soon at 15,000 miles.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I did 15K miles in the first year of having my bike... LOL

They make noise... I blew the first CCT out in my bike in like 3K miles... then it was about every 2K miles after that... I just put in a MCCT.

The head bearing seat really fast if you do a lot of stoppies or wheelies.

John

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey Guys, thanks for the help...i will definitely check it out this weekend, the bike has exactly 5500 miles on it.....I appreciate your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts