Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine rattles very loud between 2000 and 3000 rpm only when hot. The noise is loudest at 2500 rpm. The noise appears to be coming from the top end. I checked the valve clearances - all OK. I don't think it's the cam chain. Perhaps the tensioner? It sounds like: Cluck, cluck, cluck,....About 3 clucks per second. What do you think? Is this normal? Do I worry about nothing? Please help!
Cheers, Wolf
'90 GSX-R1100L

------------------
1990 GSX-R1100L (Red& Black)

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i don't think this is normal - at least, none of my old oil cooled gsxr's ever had a noise like that. how many miles are on the bike? i'd take a look at the cam chain tensioner.

------------------

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Jeff.
The bike's done 13kmiles.
The motor is only noisy when hot. The hotter, the louder. I use Motul 10W40 semi synthetic. The bike runs very well. 132.8 hp @ the wheel on dyno. The guy from the bike shop said: "They are all noisy". A friend has the same bike and his is quiet.
Oil consumption is 0.25qt/3000 miles.

------------------

·
Registered
301 Posts
wolf1127 good to see another person from new zealand here.
does your bike make the noise when you are on the move at 2500rpm or holding it at 2500rpm when in neutral or both?
I run motul 5100 in mine and it is fine.
which bike shop did you go to?
I wouldn't think it was the cam chain with only that amount of miles,but a friend of mine had the same problem with a bike he bought and that is what it was.

------------------

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Kiwi,
I see you're from Auckland as well.
I just got my bike serviced by Colemans. I won't go back there ever again. Long and interesting story!!
The motor sounds like a cold diesel engine.
I doubt it's the cam chain. Doesn't a worn cam chain rattle like rattle snake?
Moving or not makes no difference to the noise. The motor sounds perfectly normal when cold.
Wolf1127

------------------

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Wolf,
The older engines *are* noisy by today's standards but that knock-knock-knock deal isn't part of the normal symphony.

I bought a '96 1100w last Fall that had a similar-sounding knock to it... in my case the engine had a connecting rod go tits-up; hope yours isn't the same. It was quiet when cold, but once the engine was up to temp the sound was plainly audible.

Can you isolate the noise to a single cylinder? ...I was able to narrow the search by pulling one plug wire at a time loose while the engine was running.

Ed

------------------

[This message has been edited by gsxr1198 (edited 05-18-2001).]

·
Registered
301 Posts
wolf1127,yeah I think if the cam chain was fucked it would make the noise all the time.
you should let chris at dynobike have a listen to it,he knows alot about the gsxr's and is very helpful.
his shop is on the corner of sunnybrae and archers rd's on the north shore,he is usually there most of saturday.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts