Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ran out of freakin\' gas!! (story and question)

story:

was coming home from work saturday night at about 2am...it was hella freakin' cold with temps in the 30's (which i heard the next day we set a record low) and the wind was gusting about about 20 mph. i knew i was needing gas, but i couldn't feel my hands or feet and i just wanted to get home. if i had 1/10th of a gallon left i would have made it...but NO! i was maybe 1.5 miles from my house and i noticed that when i gave it throttle, the bike wouldn't go any faster...thought maybe the throttle cable was frozen or something...then she starts to cut out. *crap!* i pulled over to the side and had to push my bike up a hill to a business parking lot. then i had to walk over a mile in that hella freakin' cold weather to get home! the next morning i had to take an $18 taxicab to my shop so i could get my car and the gas can and drive back to my bike, fill 'er up, and ride the bike home. luckily my buddy got home around 5pm last night to take me to my car...there was no way i was walking that crap again!

question:

my reserve didn't work, but i think i know why, and tell me if i'm on track with this...there are three positions to the gas knob (res, on, and pri). i'm guessing that when you have it set to "on" that it pulls from both hoses??? the tank was bone dry... so now...if i put the gas knob to "pri" and i am stupid enough to run out of gas again, i should be able to switch to "res" and ride to a pump, right???

thanks!

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Re: ran out of freakin\' gas!! (story and question)

"prime" is used only if you drained the fuel bowls and need to fill them back up again with the engine off. Unless your vacumm line is jacked do not use this position."On uses both lines to feed the carbs as does "Prime,On and Reserve". There is a screen on the petcock that allows fuel to flow at a certain level when the Reserve is selected.
Normal position is On.Hope this helps,
Bobbychet

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

hmmm...okay that didn't help all that much...i think i'm just not understanding it all...

i'm not dumb, but when i ran out of gas...the tank was bone dry and i switched it to 'res' but it wouldn't start. ???

· Premium Member
1,267 Posts

The ON should only draw fuel down to a certain level, using the vacuum from the engine. RES will let you draw the rest, with vacuum. PRI will let fuel flow regardless of engine vacuum and will empty the whole tank. If left on PRI when not running it will drain through the bowls, into the carbs, and down into your motor. It will fill your entire motor, and then work on the airbox.

· Registered
72 Posts

I had this same problem, dont use the pri, unless absolutly nessecary, check your cranckcase and change your oil, turn your petcock vavle so that the little arrow points forward, this is Reserve, arrow down is ON, arrow to back is PRIME.

· Registered
36 Posts

You need to switch between them at times or the diaphram gets stuck. I guess a way to say it is it gets hard and then with it being cold makes it harder to move off the vacume . Every once in a while you need to turn the knob to the different positions so it moves around a bit. I dont know if this makes any sence to you but I noticed on mine that it would not work so like once a week I just move it around when she is running to make sure every thing works ok.

· Registered
2,244 Posts

Wow. I've read a million of posts on this subject it seems but amazingly I just realized that I always put mine on pri when exiting the bike and turning it to on when I take off. I was wrong. So you just leave it on "on" . OK

just catching up on what I've missed
EDGE_

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.