Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ride a 04 gsxr 600 as my daily and only vehicle, earlier today I was out and about and noticed turning back onto my street coming home my speedo read zero after flipping my high/lows at a car to let them know they’re lights were off. So I pull into the driveway and flip the headlights one more time the gauge cluster goes blank and turns back on to how it was, still no speed or odo reading. Never ran into an issue like this before so generally wasn’t sure the steps to take. Parked the bike let it sit at idle for a moment started smelling a burning smell from under the seat heard a loud pop then I shut the bike off to let it cool. Went back out an hour later looked under the seat still had a burning smell, swapped every fuse in hopes that it was the cause put everything back together and starts up no issues, everything else works on the gauges besides speedo and odo, when I went to take it back out to test it I again flipped the lights high to low and the gauges reset again. Not sure what’s going on here and I’m not to familiar with electrical stuff on the bike but have had zero issues since owning it besides the usually stator/rectifier and dead battery. I also pulled the speed sensor and cleaned it off and the speed rotor is in place. Could it be possible that it’s just a dying battery?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok sounds like a problem I ranned into a few months back... I would do the same thing and hi beam a car to let him know I saw him and to let him know I was coming anyways long story short it was signs of my battery starting to go bad every time I go beamed a car same problem. When your battery isn't holding the charge it's meant for or what voltage required to keep every component of the bike working properly so as I hi beam a car I'm asking the battery for more juice than what it has.... Do you get where I'm going with this,? Check your battery's voltage and check it while the bike is running and use the hi beam. Measure the voltage and see if it decreases by a lot.... I'm not saying that's your problem and getting a new battery will solve it but it was my problem which sounds similar to yours. Try that out and let me Kno how it goes.
Also check all wiring to be intact and not burned/melted inspect every component you could see around.. for that burning smell....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think it could have caused my spedo and odo to stop working as well though? Usually the gauge cluster would die and come back if the battery was going bad but I’ve never had it to where the speed stays at 0 and odometer stopped counting which is what’s throwing me off. I’ll try throwing a new battery in tomorrow and hope for the best.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Check the wiring harness at the front of the bike where the headlight harness plugs to the main harness not sure what side that plug is on your model it will be at the front behind the side panel roughly where the front indicator is the k1 its on the right side common issue I had it on mine I unplugged all of the plugs there and some of the pins were corroded I cleaned them up with wd40 or any electrical cleaner plugged it all back in now works perfectly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so took it out today to go to the shop for the battery, they tested the battery there and the battery checked out completely fine. Also while I was riding I had zero issues with the high/lows and gauge cluster going in and out, only problem left is the speed still reading zero and the odo not moving. Needles and everything else works on it, shift light/adj/modes all that works. So my guess is speed sensor

·
Registered
322 Posts
Okay so took it out today to go to the shop for the battery, they tested the battery there and the battery checked out completely fine. Also while I was riding I had zero issues with the high/lows and gauge cluster going in and out, only problem left is the speed still reading zero and the odo not moving. Needles and everything else works on it, shift light/adj/modes all that works. So my guess is speed sensor
I'll put money on it it's your wiring harness plugs behind the fairing panel at the front of the bike connectors will be corroded it's common I had the exact issue you have

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll put money on it it's your wiring harness plugs behind the fairing panel at the front of the bike connectors will be corroded it's common I had the exact issue you have
I’ll give them a look I traced back all the other wires under the tank and under the seat to check those connectors and they all looked okay zero corrosion and pretty clean looking, the front wiring harness is a little bit harder to get to so I started in the back where I smelled the burning come from, honestly when I first took the seat off to check the fuses the metal bar that holds my tank up was sitting almost on top of the battery, I didn’t put two and two together but it’s possible that it grazed over one of the battery terminals and the other end was touching the frame causing the electrical issue and probably fried some things in the process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the harness behind the left faring as stated above. Mine kept doing the same thing. I found a corroded ground wire in the harness that was beyond being cleaned and repaired. I cut it on both ends of the harness and spliced them together with spade connectors for easy disconnections.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was the harness behind the left fairing, mine is more tucked under the front cowl but yeah slight movement and everything goes blanks and headlight goes off I sprayed it with contact cleaner and tried to get the corrosion off one of the wires but another one looked to be burnt out if I ride at all I have to keep adjusting the connector so I don’t lose gauges and all, doesn’t explain the speedo not reading though yet maybe that’s the one that burnt out. Anyways is there a fix to this that doesn’t involve me having to rip the wires out and bypass the connector? Do they sell just the connectors to where I can just rewire it to new ones or would I have to buy whole new harnesses? It’s gotten to the point where I don’t even like getting on it because adjusting it is a pain in the ass and having a headlight go out on me while I’m going 60 in traffic isn’t the greatest.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm with you there I don't like cutting wires I was lucky as mine weren't that bad but in your case as madmega said that would be the easiest way to cut then join with spade connectors. How many wires are in that plug?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts