Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A car guy at work commented on my made up air intake grill that it might restrict air flow too much.

On an old Sport Rider test with a ZX9R, they tested 131 BHP with RAM air vs. 123 without.

But I'm wondering if the grill size will make much if any difference at the top speeds typical for a GSXR.

I'm pretty certain it won't make that much difference, but interested in any opinions.

VS.​

·
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
262 Posts
I highly doubt it makes any difference and id be hard pressed to think if it made a difference it would be noticeable. Id get a couple more opinions though.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
Probably does have a negative impact, but I highly doubt anyone short of a fully tooled race team could measure it. If you're worried about it, put an absolute pressure gauge on the dirty side of the airbox and see if it reads higher or lower than ambient.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,561 Posts
Calculate the percent open area from the wire size and mesh spacing. It should give you an idea of how much blockage is there. With that and an estimated intake opening size, you could compare that with the opening through the screen on the air cleaner. There ought to be figures that provide the pressure drop through mesh screens for a given flow rate. But in a quick search, I couldn't find one.

P.S. The perforated screen over the K5/K8 air filter has a 51% open area. But it's across a 278 cm² area. I calculated that the pressure drop across it at red line is around .1 inch of water (.0036 psi), which is small enough to ignore. Your woven screen looks like it's around 50% open. But I'm fairly sure that the area of both inlets is much smaller.

Also see this. Comparing pics of OEM screens with info from expanded metal suppliers suggests that the OEM screens are 80%-85% open (should be straightforward to calculate).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
BillV
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing