Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 1000 that I turned into a streetfighter. When is the ram air effective? over 120mph? I've read somewhere that above 180mph the air has the same effect of 1lb of boost.
I've got no intentions of going over 120 for the most part. I am thinking of getting a flash to change a few things,thats the only reason I am interested in it. TRE,Fan turn on time,and possible lowering the ram air compensation or eliminating it.
When a Bike is dyno'd do most tuners have high velocity air going into the inlets? Is it progressive to match tire speed/mph?
Thank you.

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
Ramair starts between 40 and 60 mph. a Superflow dyno can simulate airflow at speed into the airbox.
I've never seen a dyno fan capable of simulating anything above riding at 20 mph or so. The only ones I've seen are for cooling purposes of the bike, not trying to simulate ram air at speed. Any pictures of what you are talking about?

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
One of the best i've logged is the R6. Gives +30 millibar (which is 0.4lb) positive pressure at 150mph. I know of bike dyno's here that will give 180mph ramair and they will read anything up to +10bhp on some other dyno's of the same model without the ramair. The ramair and airbox also help to supply clean fresh air to the engine whereas as a streetfighter without that will generally have dirty air going in.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've never seen a dyno fan capable of simulating anything above riding at 20 mph or so. The only ones I've seen are for cooling purposes of the bike, not trying to simulate ram air at speed. Any pictures of what you are talking about?

This was not a simulation. Data loggers were installed and air temp and air pressure data was taken at speed.

·
AKA Pee Wee Herman
6,092 Posts

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
That is gonna be reall effective, considering its pointing at the fucking radiator not the air inlet. :rolleyes

Dont believe everything you see on the internet.
+1 Lol, air tubes are nowhere NEAR that bike's central ram air inlet. :lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know this is a old post, but it still amazes me how most people will run there mouths off and never bother to get the correct info before doing so. READ the links info it says cooling and ram air up to 150 mph:wtf LOL DUH!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I asked jack frost. A guy im quite friendly with. Google him he's a multiple world record holder for busa tuning and turbo bikes. He says ram air is worth feck all

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I asked jack frost. A guy im quite friendly with. Google him he's a multiple world record holder for busa tuning and turbo bikes. He says ram air is worth feck all
BUT ask any good dyno tuner and tuning without the air ducts and with them will change the tune. Never mind ram air, the air ducts are still part of a tuned intake system ;).

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
True but its a tiny difference
Not really. Can be several horsepower. Especially at higher rev ranges. Just like size and shape of intake ports can affect the charge of air so can the size/shape and length of the intake ducts. Or the size shape and length of exhaust pipes.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,416 Posts
Which is exactly why Suzuki didn't invest millions in it's design and development over the last 20 years...... oh wait... they did! I guess Suzuki's engineers are smarter than your tuner.

Ram air does 2 things. It reduces intake temps by allowing the bike to breathe clean air. It also helps to reduce the resistance of the air filter.

If Suzuki was the only company doing ram air, then it would be questionable. But take a look at every single bike, and most performance cars, and it's pretty clear there's benefit to ram air. Forget "boost". It not the only thing that matters.

·
Banned
23,398 Posts
Not really. Can be several horsepower. Especially at higher rev ranges. Just like size and shape of intake ports can affect the charge of air so can the size/shape and length of the intake ducts. Or the size shape and length of exhaust pipes.
So Size and Shape...DOES matter!

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts