Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i put my race fairings on, id like to leave the ram air ducts off.

How much difference do they really make? When you guys do dyno runs, its not like you are hooking up air tubes to the ducts to simulate road speed air. On the track i only get up to around 200kmph. Can that sort of wind speed make any noticeable difference.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,561 Posts
Some quick calcs suggest that the ducts are worth .5, 2, 4.7, and 8.4 HP at 50, 100, 150, and 200 MPH, assuming that the motor properly makes use of the extra air.

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I seal all the ducts with duct tape so there is no leak, also heat shield the airbox....
here is hot and makes a noticeable diference in trafic in hot days....

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
We've tried running the bikes on the dyno with fairing/air ducts and without. There is a clear difference as Chip has pointed out.
learn something new everyday.

Ive seen some stunters that pull theirs off and cover the wholes with a fine mesh so that they can see over the 12 o'clocks

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Lean
let me explain correctly.... I seal where the ducts conect with chassis and where the airbox conects with chassis with duct tape.

hope that explains your question...

·
7,561 Posts
How did you calc that?
Assuming that the inlets are efficiently located and properly sized, the ram air pressure is ½ rho V² where rho is the air density. I then assume that horsepower is proportional to the inlet air pressure.

·
7,561 Posts
so a calculator?
You're close but actually a computer. I have a unit conversion program that cuts through almost all of the drudgery associated with the calc.

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
21 Participants
bjoshua1002
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing