Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I want to raise the rear ride height on my bike a little. Coming from a ZX7R where this was done by screwing in & out the top nuts that held the shocker in place on the top shock mount I looked in the same place on my gsxr. There is about 20mm of thread sticking through the nut that holds the top shock mount to the bike. My idea is to shim out underneath the mount about 20mm (ie use the spare thread length) thus raising the rear of the bike. I can't see a problem with this but as I'm an idiot sometimes and don't want to kill myself at my next Brands Hatch trackday next Monday can anybody tell me if this is the right/wrong way to do it. I don't want to play with spring preload etc as I've got it just about right. Thanks in advance for any replies that help out.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have a special made billit rear shock mount that raises the rear ride height 14mm. You could shim it a little from their.
I don't know about shimming the full 20mm on a stock one.
PM me if you want it.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
the collars on the shock are to adjust preload and not for ride height.. adjust them to get your sag numbers. in the rear you want the suspension to squat about 25mms when your sitting on the bike from when fully extended.. raising the rear of the bike is a geometry adjustment and will change the way the bike handles. you do not want to raise the rear of the bike by 20mm's. i dont even think you could with the stock clevis. ideally you want the rear ride height to be around 335 mm's from eye to eye. meaning the mounting points where the shock bolts up. this is an ideal starting point for your generation 1k.. so if your stock measurement from eye to eye (after you set your sag) is less than that then you will use a shim on the top of the clevis (the mount that is attached to your shock and bolts up to the frame). the shim size you will need is 32mm's outside diameter, and 27mm's inside diameter, and what ever thickness you will need.front forks are best set at from 5mm of tube showing above the triple, to completely flush.. just because your zx7 sat tall in the rear doesnt mean that that will work on the gixxer. they are completely different bikes, and the zx had much more conservative rake and trail which would neccesitate a taller rear end. but regardless. get your sag set front and rear. then set your rear shock up like i suggested, and your forks as well.. front sag numbers should be about 35mm's with you on the bike..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts