Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the site.
I tried to look for the answer for this question but havent found it.
I recently picked up a 2008 gsxr 1000
Ive noticed some coolant on the floor under the bike a couple days ago so I pulled the fairings off the bike I found that the radiator is leaking from the top bolt hole for the mount on the side of the radiator I'm wondering are there any other years of bikes that radiators are compatible with mine or do I have to get 1 for an 07 or 08.

Thanks

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,494 Posts
According to the part number it's 07-08 only. But you might find an aftermarket race radiator that might work. Before you drop hundreds on a radiator, take it to a radiator shop and get a quote to fix that one. I'm guessing under $100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea that was my next thing on the to do list.was wondering because I have a buddy that has a lot of used bike stuff.
I’ll try and get a quote

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,471 Posts
"leaking from the top bolt hole for the mount on the side of the radiator"

Is that the boss in the side tank for mounting the fan? It's a blind hole so I'd expect any leakage to be around the sides of the boss. There are similar bosses on the left side to mount the R/R. A good welder ought to be able to fix a leak there. Something to consider trying is an epoxy like Pro Seal 62020. I don't expect much from it but it's fairly easy to apply and doesn't cost much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea it’s in the left side of the radiator. Yea I used a epoxy but it didn’t hold.gonna pull the radiator tonight and see what the shop says. The welder we have at work won’t work

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,471 Posts
Make sure that the leak is at the boss and not something higher like the bib for the air bleed hose. There isn't much pressure buildup. I think the stresses are mainly due to thermal effects.

"The welder we have at work won’t work"
No offense but this should be done by someone who knows what they're doing. We occasionally see pics of radiators with huge kludged repairs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts