Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
make sure you get one with POP protection, oh yea, i mounted my on the plastic windshield

·
Registered
610 Posts
Docs, radar detectors don't work cause most cops don't drive around with their radars on. We use a switch and click it off and on as a vehicle enters that target zone. Once that radar starts to scream, its too late. Don't get me wrong if the radar is turned on to target a vehicle in front of you, your detector may alert you. But if you ride at night where there are few cars, chances are you will never see it coming. Also cops tend to write speeding tickets if you have a radar detector and in some states they are illegal. Whatever you do, just don't run. A ticket is not worth your life.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
actually, they are only illegal in virgina
And DC
I have used one in the car for 5 years now and it has saved my ass numerous times. 10 or so.
I never really drive nuts just the typical 70 -80 in a 55 with commute traffic.
Always on the lookout even with it. Never ride bird dog when speeding.
A lot of the time I see cops they are just sitting there with out the radar on.
Works just the same for the pupose of slowing everyone down.
Question:
How well to the jammers work?
Are they worth the extra $$$?
ALso what kind of alerts do the rader detectors give on a bike. The one in my car has voice alert and visual but I'm not usually looking down when I am on the bike.

·
Registered
137 Posts
just my 2 cents.

I've had my and your share of speeding tickets, and the biggest lesson i have learned is a radar detector (good one) will run you a couple hundred bucks. BUT, as long as you are not going ridiculously over the limit, most police will not give you a ticket, just don't SWERVE AND SLAM ON YOUR BRAKES.

as far as being on a bike? i am only going 2 speeds, flow of traffic, or on an open stretch, way to fast. at the speeds over 120, you are gonna close the distance so fast, that a radar detector isn't going to make a difference.

my advice? save the money for a ticket.

·
21,546 Posts
actually, they are only illegal in virgina
And DC
I have used one in the car for 5 years now and it has saved my ass numerous times. 10 or so.
I never really drive nuts just the typical 70 -80 in a 55 with commute traffic.
Always on the lookout even with it. Never ride bird dog when speeding.
A lot of the time I see cops they are just sitting there with out the radar on.
Works just the same for the pupose of slowing everyone down.
Question:
How well to the jammers work?
Are they worth the extra $$$?
ALso what kind of alerts do the rader detectors give on a bike. The one in my car has voice alert and visual but I'm not usually looking down when I am on the bike.
with my passport 8500, it has a headphone jack out, so i hardwired the passport to the bike, and ran a wire under the tank, under the seat, then it went up into my jacket, into my ear.

·
21,546 Posts
and for those people that dont wanna spend the 250+ dollars on a good radar, how much is a ticket? about 150, and how much does your insuracne increase?? 250 bux on a good radar will most likely save you in the end

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Passport 8500 x50. Mounted with a stem stand available at www.motorcycleradar.com. Connected to the bike battery with a hardwire kit. Headphones mounted in my helmet. Works great but you can't just be an idiot and trust the unit to keep you out of trouble.

The jammers DO NOT WORK!! They are a COMPLETE WASTE OF MONEY!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
passport 8500 is the best for the money , spend a few bucks more ans get the solo 2 from passport , runs on two double a batteries and can also be hardwired for car use . Or for the big money get a K40 2000 .................... www.k40.com it is the best of the best

·
Registered
337 Posts
Docs, radar detectors don't work cause most cops don't drive around with their radars on. We use a switch and click it off and on as a vehicle enters that target zone. Once that radar starts to scream, its too late. Don't get me wrong if the radar is turned on to target a vehicle in front of you, your detector may alert you. But if you ride at night where there are few cars, chances are you will never see it coming. Also cops tend to write speeding tickets if you have a radar detector and in some states they are illegal. Whatever you do, just don't run. A ticket is not worth your life.
Thank you officer ! (I did'nt do it)

There it is folks, from the desk of jersey's finest !

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thank you officer ! (I did'nt do it)

There it is folks, from the desk of jersey's finest !
+1

·
21,546 Posts
passport 8500 is the best for the money , spend a few bucks more ans get the solo 2 from passport , runs on two double a batteries and can also be hardwired for car use . Or for the big money get a K40 2000 .................... www.k40.com it is the best of the best
dont get a solo 2, not as sensitive, nor does it have the range of the 8500. also, if you get an escourt radar, you need their hardwire kit. It uses a different connection than most radars

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.