Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has installed a radar detector on their bike. If you have, how did you wire it. I have a passport 8500 and would rather not cut the wire. Also, how do you hear it, is it just loud enough of use headphones maybe?
Pics would be great

Rock

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you want to put a radar on your bike the best way to go is the Solo S2. It runs on 2AA batteries and has an output for headphones. The suction cups hold on my puig DB just fine. Best part is you can just take it off and put it in your car when your not on your bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Do radar/laser detectors really work? I've heard stories from both sides. I always thought they were gimmicks.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do, trust me, i have been saved a few times.

·
Clothing Optional
1,244 Posts
the best radar detector is already build in your head and are called your eyes. it'll make you a better rider also.

isn't there a thread for installing a valentine v1?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Here's a couple of threads how I mounted my radar detector.

Pictures of my detector mount and the first power strip I made.
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106551&highlight=radar+detector

Picture of the panel that I upgraded to. It looks a lot better IMO. Just go to the bottom of the thread where the picture is.
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128390&highlight=radar+detector&page=4

I use a small ear plug that I run up through my sleeve. It works good and I will ALWAYS hear the sound of the detector doing it this way. Best of all it's dirt cheap to do this and if you break the plug it only cost $3 to replace at radio shack.

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
If you get pulled over with a radar detector visible, can you get a ticket just for that?
Not if they are legal in your state. Like Minnesota, they are legal, but scramblers/jammers arent. I think Detectors are legal everywhere. Check any store near you, if they sell them, they are legal.:burnout

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
the best radar detector is already build in your head and are called your eyes. it'll make you a better rider also.

+1 I dont have a detector on my bike. I rely on sight and common sense. Dont go blazing through a town marked 30 at 50mph. Its not the ticket you have to worry about then, its the little kid who chases his ball out into the street that will be on your mind for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
704 Posts
yea...i kinda ride hard at times on my bike and in my car sometimes...so i have kind of figured out where they sit and what their lights look like at night and damn taxis. but i was in my girlfriends sisters car in the back seat and i saw a state trooper coming our way (other side of the highway) and i told her to slow down and she was like why.....................,..................beep, beep, (annoying) than oh..thanks. btw if it means anything it cost like $200 also :dunno

·
Registered
343 Posts
Saved me many many times, its paid for itself time and time again. (Passport 8500)

I built a mount with a bracket and a flat piece of sheet metal that I JB welded to the bracket. I bolted it to the bars using the bolt that holds the MC on. Hold the detector onto the mount with velcro. Works great, cost maybe $5 to build.

My passport is powered by cigarette lighter plug, I just bought a cigarette lighter outlet and wired it directly to the battery, routed the wiring up to the front of the bike to plug it in. You could install a fuse or relay inline with it, but I havn't had any issues...it isn't going to drain the battery as long as you remember to shut the detector off. I don't leave the detector on the bike anyways so that isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have an 8500 and its been on three bikes and in and out of my truck. It has saved me more than I can count. I have the H>A>R>D> helmet led system so you know when it goes off.

I used an sv650 bar end into the sterring stem mounted to a small aluminum plate. Sits behind the wind screen and is visible to verify the type of hit. Easy to take off and very secure. Hard wired into the tag light so its double fused and key switch powered.

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts
Just sounds like a pain in the ass. But if its working for you, cool beans! Whatever keeps the bike out of impound:shifty

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts

i have to agree. its the same as in your car. you have to be looking at all times. my buddy was dead set on putting the one from his car on the bike... he did... wired it from the license plate wires. it worked. but shit by the time the damn thing started makin noises (which you cant really hear) and lighting up i have spotted them already. then if by chance it does alert him before we see them... shit its just annoying.

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,050 Posts

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
Virginia and Washington DC they are NOT legal. I looked it up. 49 states they are legal.:cheers
I guess I was right, and that doesn't include north of the border either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts