Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04' gixxer 600 and I need to find a way to get a radar detector on this thing. I need to "even out" my odds a little more because my driving record is getting ugly... FAST. Does anyone make an actual mount? Is it possible to attach under the headlight stay under the upper fairing because it really blocks the instrument panel if I have to mount it under the windscreen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
They make a stem stand you can mount it onto.. but if you go this route I also suggest you get the H.A.R.D I was using my radar detector last year and it went off like crazy but unless you check it periodically it's useless. You can't hear it. This is the site I picked up the stand from. Motorcycleradar.com

·
Registered
610 Posts
Take it from a cop who also rides. RADAR DETECTORS DON'T WORK. Very few states use laser radar so don't bother on so called "Laser Jamers". Cops don't leave their radar on constantly. We have remote controls that turn them off and on when a vehicle comes in the radar field. This is true especially at night when your driving along and your radar starts to scream. By then its too late, we have you targeted way before you can slow down. My suggestion is to find some cop friends and ride with them. Oh and don't take off, you can't out run a radio and your life is not worth a speeding ticket. Stay safe. I have seen way to many accidents involving street bikes who refused to yield to police. Out of 5, all of them died.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just made my budy one at work one day. i made it out of aluminum. It also doubles as a camera mount. It took me like 2 hours to make it. Not hard at all. It mounts up to the gas tank.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Take it from a cop who also rides. RADAR DETECTORS DON'T WORK. Very few states use laser radar so don't bother on so called "Laser Jamers". Cops don't leave their radar on constantly. We have remote controls that turn them off and on when a vehicle comes in the radar field. This is true especially at night when your driving along and your radar starts to scream. By then its too late, we have you targeted way before you can slow down. My suggestion is to find some cop friends and ride with them. Oh and don't take off, you can't out run a radio and your life is not worth a speeding ticket. Stay safe. I have seen way to many accidents involving street bikes who refused to yield to police. Out of 5, all of them died.
I agree with the don't run but disagree with radar detectors don't work. It's true if they hit you with instant on then you're caught. But I've been using a radar detector for years and I have found most of the police in my area just leave their radar on constantly. Also it will pick up the "instant on" if you catch him shooting it at another car a few miles up the road. The signal is faint but strong enough to warn you to slow down. But you are right the only guaranteed method of not getting stopped is to not speed.

·
Registered
610 Posts
HA HA...yeah that tag would help with me! As far as instant on, your right if your tageting another vehicle in the distance you detector may pick it up. Nothing is perfect, that goes for both detectors and radar. BTW, i work in NJ and we are not allowed to chase bikes at high speeds solely for traffic vioations. (Usually)

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeah, i would think that radar detectors would still work in normal riding. but like you said, when you are alone later at night riding and there is nobody else around, then the detector wouldn't help if you have a remote control that turns them on and off. but i still would feel more comfortable having one IMO, they work atleast some of the time, which is more than enough reason for me to own one. cause even if they only help you avoid a ticket once, they were worth the price of buying it as apposed to getting a ticket and points.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts