Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I need some help.
Wondering if I can fit a k7 1000 racing fairing on a k5 1000 without major hacking. If someone knows something about it let me know. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
^^ lol

I mean , it probably is possible (Chassis not the same but close).

the only way to find out is to get the piece and attempt to slip it on there...then you will know where to make your mounting tabs and brackets. It may go smooth or you may find it's not worth the effort.

here's one i found....gotta be pretty light

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,385 Posts
Suzuki says the K7/K8 radiator has more taper, which sounds like it will be narrower at the bottom and the oil cooler is likely to also be narrower. Also the coolant reservoir was moved from the right side ahead of the radiator to beneath the fuel pump. So I suspect there will be fitment problems in those areas and probably elsewhere. I agree with Le Skid unless you're a fabricator.

·
Registered
731 Posts
10-4 thanx.

I couldn't quite picture it cause of access concerns but there it is.
wow, guess this combined with other things makes K7 front quite a bit more narrow than
previous models.

·
That’s Mister Chalet to you ....
8,837 Posts
Ummm what?
I didn't know that either. Leave it to @BillV

Back to the original question:

...if I can fit a k7 1000 racing fairing on a k5 1000 without major hacking....
Anything is possible with skills and proper tools but even before learning that you'd have to work-around the K5-6 coolant tank, it won't bolt-on without cutting / fabbing your own custom solution. Many out here could do it, make it look good and last. By his question, OP sounds more like me: hesitant because I know enough to know that I'd probably botch it (on the first try, at least).

Hence my answer to the original question. Having to re-locate the coolant tank is a show-stopper for a chicken like me - just not worth the end result. Buy some K5-6 track plastics! They're not that expensive. Certainly way better than a PITA project trying to fit the wrong ones on there.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,385 Posts
The K7 reservoir mounts on a bracket that's attached to the crankcase breather cover. I don't know if it was done for mass centralization reasons or something else. It may have been made possible by the switch to the T35 fuel pump, which doesn't have the sump of the earlier T30 type, thereby freeing up some space. The fuel rail was also redesigned and is more compact. I think it's easier to check the coolant level; it can be viewed above the fuse box. But, as the above pic shows, adding coolant is a bit of a hassle. That's not to say that it's easy on K5/K6.

·
8,837 Posts
I'm talking about the polyester racing fairings guys. Must be easier than some mentioned above right?
You're also thinking about the tank cover? That is NOT adaptable. Are you being serious? Yes, those will install easy-peasy.... on a K7-8.

Buy the correct kit for your ACTUAL bike. You may as well see if you can figure out how to adapt a set of race plastics from a ZX-10R. Bikes come in different shapes, you know.

·
8,837 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,283 Posts
I bet the mounts aren't even close and too wide, too much work to fab em up vs just getting 05 race skins, what's the entire kit $450 or so? ram air wont lineup, gonna be a bish really

1 - 17 of 17 Posts