Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2 months and a few miles later I have a track day planned. I've used safety wire before and watched a video from SBTG on their 2018 GSXR1K but it doesn't seem to be quite as easy as the 2018. I see a tab near the fill cap (see pics) and wanted to ask on here first before I drilled to make sure it was a solid piece. Also where do you guys drill to anchor your filter and drain plug? Pictures would be useful, thanks.

Attachments

·
Chubby Chaser
57,830 Posts
That's where I have mine wired to. Many GSXR racers use it for that very purpose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless your oil filter is a K&N that has a bolt head on it and holes in it, use a hose clamp that will fit your filter and safety wire it to another bolt or the frame, noting tension in the opposite direction of the oil filter, in other words, clockwise is tite, counter clock is loose, therefore, the hose clamp and wire is pulling in the other direction.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a K&N filter. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to drill straight into my case lol. Thanks!

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
So 2 months and a few miles later I have a track day planned. I've used safety wire before and watched a video from SBTG on their 2018 GSXR1K but it doesn't seem to be quite as easy as the 2018. I see a tab near the fill cap (see pics) and wanted to ask on here first before I drilled to make sure it was a solid piece. Also where do you guys drill to anchor your filter and drain plug? Pictures would be useful, thanks.
That's where I wired from.

I do have a K&N filter. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't about to drill straight into my case lol. Thanks!
Double check with your trackday org to see if K&N filters are allowed. When they had that massive recall, they got panned by a lot of people.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's where I wired from.

Double check with your trackday org to see if K&N filters are allowed. When they had that massive recall, they got panned by a lot of people.
Haven't heard about that, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 on avoiding k&n oil filters, at least in terms of appearances during a track inspection. It happened to a racer right next to me, and it attracted a lot of eyes from competitors and officials alike. That recall is going to haunt K&N for a while at the track, and whether you "trust" them now or not, it will be seen as a risk factor at tech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts