Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just wrote a 17 page report but it didnt post it so im goin the quick way now

shit went good . LOL

practice went well worked on set up alittle .

GT race went great started 10th drop to 12 into turn 1 (shitty start) then finshed 5th . with a personal best lap time of 1:13.26

3hr went good the 2 others guys did there job
1st guy was runnin 16's most of his hr,2nd ran 15's most of his

when i got on the bike all hell broke loose first 20 was ok then i started crampin and couldnt move on the bike at all . bike was ridin like ass , tires were gone . did what i needed to do and we still finished 1st in heavyweight and 3rd overall

took the tires off after the race and the rear was toast ... missing chunks about the size of quarters and showing cords DUNLOPS BTW

all in all it was a great day . i was happy with our performance in the endurance . and really pleased with my performance in the GT

nuff said

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
well i just wrote a 17 page report but it didnt post it so im goin the quick way now

shit went good . LOL

practice went well worked on set up alittle .

GT race went great started 10th drop to 12 into turn 1 (shitty start) then finshed 5th . with a personal best lap time of 1:13.26

3hr went good the 2 others guys did there job
1st guy was runnin 16's most of his hr,2nd ran 15's most of his

when i got on the bike all hell broke loose first 20 was ok then i started crampin and couldnt move on the bike at all . bike was ridin like ass , tires were gone . did what i needed to do and we still finished 1st in heavyweight and 3rd overall

took the tires off after the race and the rear was toast ... missing chunks about the size of quarters and showing cords DUNLOPS BTW

all in all it was a great day . i was happy with our performance in the endurance . and really pleased with my performance in the GT

nuff said
Just so you know....three other teams run the US dunlop rears and they alll looked the same after the race. The crazy slice around the tire and random chunks coming off....not good!

Our team ran the UK rear 748 compound and had very even tire wear!

I talked with the Dunlop guy and he gave me his cell....he is planning on focusing on the US rear for the $259 deal. However, If I we want him to keep the UK rears in stock we need to give him a hollar...prolly worth the call!

Good racing with ya!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i run normally and was runnin in the 1/2 hr but the other guys like the lops so we went with them , they prolly wont go back on a bike im ridin

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Sweet nice report congrats on the 1st spot. Good thing nobody went down!

How much air psi were you running on those US GPA's?

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Way to go stalemate.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
stalemate....What tire pressures were you running? I heard the tire guy telling people to run 29R 31F for both sets (UK and US rears). If you ran those pressures...that is probably your problem and the other teams.

The tire designers specifically told me (when I got my free set) to run higher pressure on the US rears....they suggested 31F 31R. If you ran 29 in the rear, over heated the compound, that might be why chunks were flying!

Anyhow, congrats and see ya next time!

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
stalemate....What tire pressures were you running? I heard the tire guy telling people to run 29R 31F for both sets (UK and US rears). If you ran those pressures...that is probably your problem and the other teams.

The tire designers specifically told me (when I got my free set) to run higher pressure on the US rears....they suggested 31F 31R. If you ran 29 in the rear, over heated the compound, that might be why chunks were flying!

Anyhow, congrats and see ya next time!
My local Dunlop tire vendors recommend 32 front and 31 rears only for the US GPA's. He claimed the softer UK GP to run the lower pressures.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dunlop guy told us to use 31f/29 r so thats prolly the problem .

but i think il stick with pie's

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Could have been cold tear. but really, at the pace that I saw from mylaps.com, running :15's or there abouts at Nelson isn't going to even begin to tear up tires unless they are inproperly set. I'd say you either had a cold tear issue to the nth degree or, your set-up is way off...

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could have been cold tear. but really, at the pace that I saw from mylaps.com, running :15's or there abouts at Nelson isn't going to even begin to tear up tires unless they are inproperly set. I'd say you either had a cold tear issue to the nth degree or, your set-up is way off...
the set up isnt perfect but its not that far off , and it aint from cold tear ... its from junk tires

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
the set up isnt perfect but its not that far off , and it aint from cold tear ... its from junk tires
Junk tires? Were they well used take offs? I mean, what is your definition of junk tires?

I would wage a guess it was poor set-up. what did the tire look like before it chunked? A tire chunking in more than one place is not a common situation - even if it has been through a series of many heat cycles and is hard and doesn't come to temp.

However, it could easily be cold tear. How deep were the "chunks"? Many guys think they chunk their tires when, in fact, they are cold tearing. That weekend was pretty warm, but the wind was high and the air was cool. The track temp easily could have been below normal and the tires may have not ever got to optimum temps.

Still, at that pace, I would say in proper set-up. I know it is a hard pill to swallow when someone says it is your set-up, but guess what? We all run the wrong set-up in many instances no matter how long we've been racing. Experience will, however, have you being able to recognize set-up problems and the cures needed to combat them.

What is your weight, fork height, rear height, and sag numbers front and rear? That'll get us closer to find a solution...

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Junk tires? Were they well used take offs? I mean, what is your definition of junk tires?

I would wage a guess it was poor set-up. what did the tire look like before it chunked? A tire chunking in more than one place is not a common situation - even if it has been through a series of many heat cycles and is hard and doesn't come to temp.

However, it could easily be cold tear. How deep were the "chunks"? Many guys think they chunk their tires when, in fact, they are cold tearing. That weekend was pretty warm, but the wind was high and the air was cool. The track temp easily could have been below normal and the tires may have not ever got to optimum temps.

Still, at that pace, I would say in proper set-up. I know it is a hard pill to swallow when someone says it is your set-up, but guess what? We all run the wrong set-up in many instances no matter how long we've been racing. Experience will, however, have you being able to recognize set-up problems and the cures needed to combat them.

What is your weight, fork height, rear height, and sag numbers front and rear? That'll get us closer to find a solution...
well say what u want but there is a reason that when i showed it to the dunlop guy he dismounted it and took it so noone else could see it and we got a free rear , it was a jacked up tire !!! ... i liked the UK tires but the US tires from what ive seen r junk . and still like the pie's better then both

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

well say what u want but there is a reason that when i showed it to the dunlop guy he dismounted it and took it so noone else could see it and we got a free rear , it was a jacked up tire !!! ... i liked the UK tires but the US tires from what ive seen r junk . and still like the pie's better then both
Pirellis are certainly the best DOT type out there for club guys. Again, the tire chunking - was it huge chunks or thin tears? What constitutes it being a jacked up tire? I'm not a guy who runs Dunlops, but I am also a guy who doesn't see it fit to go on a website and blab off that a tire did something and it was junk. If the tire guy "hid" it from public view and gave you a freebie, do you think it is fair to come on here and tell the world? Especially when you really haven't done proper tire testing amongst several different tire companies and compounds. You really don't help yourself out in getting sponsored by shouting to the world a particular tire is shit based on your limited knowledge.

By the way, i am sure Mr. Brubaker is really pleased he gave you a free tire and you state here they are shit... Unless, of course, Steve wasn't the guy you talked to....

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Pirellis are certainly the best DOT type out there for club guys. Again, the tire chunking - was it huge chunks or thin tears? What constitutes it being a jacked up tire? I'm not a guy who runs Dunlops, but I am also a guy who doesn't see it fit to go on a website and blab off that a tire did something and it was junk. If the tire guy "hid" it from public view and gave you a freebie, do you think it is fair to come on here and tell the world? Especially when you really haven't done proper tire testing amongst several different tire companies and compounds. You really don't help yourself out in getting sponsored by shouting to the world a particular tire is shit based on your limited knowledge.

By the way, i am sure Mr. Brubaker is really pleased he gave you a free tire and you state here they are shit... Unless, of course, Steve wasn't the guy you talked to....
u have many good points but i think u missed the original post here i copy and pasted it for u

and yes the RTS guy said he was gunna talk to brew and as i also stated they stood in and did the right thing so all in all i am happy with the service and as was stated i liked the UK tires but out of the US tires that were sold at nelsons they all did the same thing so it wasnt just set up or cold tear

1 - 20 of 21 Posts