Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called the shop that is doing all my bike work for my race bike and have some numbers (MPHComputrack).

Measurement showed most areas are off .1 at the most and wheel alignment was off only 1mm. I was surprised it was that Accurate from the factory.

As brought to them HP was 102. (M4, PC3, and BMC race filter). With map for VP CL-12 came to 109. Happy with that. Now to learn to use it right.

Can't wait till end of may to get on this thing at VIR South and North to see what a setup bike feels like. Than and me back in low 180 lb range. Anyone in the area of VIR feel free to contact and we can go out for a round of Beers on Me.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry the very end of May 27-30 with team pro motion.

I am not making my first race ever at cycle crash, Jam sorry.

Monday the 30th will be racing in TPM GP Moto for a warm up first race.

Then July 19-20 will be WERA mid oh

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Just called the shop that is doing all my bike work for my race bike and have some numbers (MPHComputrack).

Measurement showed most areas are off .1 at the most and wheel alignment was off only 1mm. I was surprised it was that Accurate from the factory.

As brought to them HP was 102. (M4, PC3, and BMC race filter). With map for VP CL-12 came to 109. Happy with that. Now to learn to use it right.

Can't wait till end of may to get on this thing at VIR South and North to see what a setup bike feels like. Than and me back in low 180 lb range. Anyone in the area of VIR feel free to contact and we can go out for a round of Beers on Me.
First of all, get rid of the BMC or, clean it real good and put it in dry. You'll get better numbers. Also, you're better off using BP 93 than that CL-12 crap. Use U4 or just plain old pump gas - the money you'll save can be used towards something more productive like getting better hp figures from your bike.

Not a jab at the whole Computrack thingy, but if it was a clean off the floor bike like you suggest, your money would have been better spent on getting the bike Supersport set-up.

I know you're starting at this racing thing, but too many first timers go the wrong routes on where they spend there money...

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
yea i just went to jennings with Lisa the VP rep. C12 is high octain, people thik that makes power it doesnt.

she hooked me up with 5 gal of it at daytona. my bike dynoed 5 hp less than pump gas.

if you want race gas U4 if you need high octain U2

Did i mention team Wizard Racing is now sponsored by VP

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
Not a jab at the whole Computrack thingy, but if it was a clean off the floor bike like you suggest, your money would have been better spent on getting the bike Supersport set-up.
Why? I've seen brand new stuff 3* or more out

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, as you said I am starting out, so I know that a SS motor will not benefit me if I don't know how to use it so that would have been a waste of $$ plus I don't want a motor that has to freshened up next year.

I wanted a bike that I know is right on and learn from there. Plus I have the $$ now and I konw once I start racing I may need the $$ for other things like Tires, Generator, Entry fees, extra parts, Gas $$ for travel, camping supplies. So I decided to do it now while I can.
I will be using Pump gas mostly this year anyway. I just wanted the map so that if I do decide to run Race gas I have it.

Also, you're better off using BP 93 than that CL-12 crap. Use U4 or just plain old pump gas - the money you'll save can be used towards something more productive like getting better hp figures from your bike.
I figure the custom mapping gave me 1 - 11/2 hp and the race fuel gives 5 1/2 - 6 HP. Name one mod that gives those returns for less then $100 (10 gallons of fuel)

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
C-12 doesn't give you extra HP, if anything it robs it as its higher compression than you need.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i just went to jennings with Lisa the VP rep. C12 is high octain, people thik that makes power it doesnt.

she hooked me up with 5 gal of it at daytona. my bike dynoed 5 hp less than pump gas.

So would 7 Hp come strictly from a custom map? or are they sand bagging the hp figures from the 1st run to make it look better?

·
Registered
4,361 Posts

So would 7 Hp come strictly from a custom map? or are they sand bagging the hp figures from the 1st run to make it look better?
A few months back in one of the Cycle mags they did a little write up on gas & octane. Basically octane inhibits the fuel from igniting (usually due to compresion, i.e. detonation). You will generally get higher HP #'s from a lower octane rating (all else being equal) as long as you can run it without detonation. The higher octane fuels promote higher HP #'s from engines with higher compression ratios which are making more power due to the higher compression ratios and the higher octane gas is used out of necessity to prevent detonation.
Or something like that, I may have forgotten everything when I bumped my head.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
And before someone jumps in I know - some of the race fuels are oxygenated which leads to increased HP due to the extra oxygen in the fuel and that is another variable that needs to be taken into account along with octane rating and compression #'s.

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
My Thoughts on starting out....
1- Get a decent bike
2- get suspension
3- race prep it
4- run pump gas (87)
5- forget about HP and concentrate on riding

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1- Get a decent bike
2- get suspension
3- race prep it
4- run pump gas (87)

Pretty much the plan. Just getting the map done while I have the money. I will probably run the rest of the can I bought for mapping and then put the map that I have in there now back in if it is running to rich just on pump gas.

I will never run 87 in a GSXR. Tried 89 in my GSXR 1000 ONCE. It ran like crap, a very noticeable difference.

But still the question, would just a custom map give 7hp or is the shop sand bagging the original run to make it look better (so I buy more race fuel)?

·
Premium Member
17,154 Posts
1- Get a decent bike
2- get suspension
3- race prep it
4- run pump gas (87)

Pretty much the plan. Just getting the map done while I have the money. I will probably run the rest of the can I bought for mapping and then put the map that I have in there now back in if it is running to rich just on pump gas.

I will never run 87 in a GSXR. Tried 89 in my GSXR 1000 ONCE. It ran like crap, a very noticeable difference.

But still the question, would just a custom map give 7hp or is the shop sand bagging the original run to make it look better (so I buy more race fuel)?
unless you are in the top 3 of experts race gas is a waste of $$$$....

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
1- Get a decent bike
2- get suspension
3- race prep it
4- run pump gas (87)
DITTO

I see a lot of these guys buy brand new bikes with all this money being thrown around, and then they run out of money 1/4 or 1/2 way into the season.

Buy an older yet reliable bike, throw new sprockets/chain/tires/tuneup etc

Putting race fuel isnt going to give you more power unless you dyno map it for that fuel.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
they are sand bagging those numbers from the CL-12.....throw that back to whoever you bought it from. There was a write up last year on race gas, and VP U4 gave the most gains from a stock motor, with no pc or other modifications. Save the extra money and get U4. U4 outperformed all of the oxygenated fuels.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts

Putting race fuel isnt going to give you more power unless you dyno map it for that fuel.
not true U4 will add horsepower, just will not get the full gain unless its mapped.

and i think they are working you.

if the degreed cams, pipe and mapped maybe 6 hp.

btw, anyone who has paid to build a motor for HP, i think this only meens me and adam, knows the cost of U4 is the cheapest horsepower out there

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
I wouldn't run U4 in a built engine, stuff isn't clean enough.

MR-9 is the REALLY good stuff, but MR-1 is what most builders and racers use. U4 is actually the cheap nasty crap, but it makes power.

U4 is good for 4-6% hp peak increase
MR-1 is good for 6-7%
MR-9 is good for 8-9%

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will ride the rest of the can I bought and see for my self if anything is noticable. I know 1-2 hp may not be too noticeable but if it is true 7 hp then I should feel a difference.

Just curious for next year maybe, how would U4 do on a engine mapped for CL-12 do?

I am not doing any motor work on the race bike not until I can use it better.

Thanks for tips, and makes me weary of any engine builder. Can't believe they would even try to do this. No reason they know I won't buy any gas from them since it can't be shipped and they are 4 1/2 hours north. I guess even the engine builders aren't honest these days. (but is a business)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts