Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently a buddy of mine got ahold of a race bike and his lights aren’t working. Hours of frustration later we finally figured out we have two power streams running from the ignition and one of them runs the lights. This is obviously deleted from the race ignition as lights aren’t needed. My question is are we able to make another power wire (O & Br wires) to get the lights running or will we need to get a new ignition?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,578 Posts
Power from the O lead of the ignition switch runs to two places, one of which is the START button. It leaves there as W/Y, which runs to the HEAD-LO and HEAD-HI fuses. HEAD-LO leaves as W to the big connector inside the left front fairing, where it changes to B/Br, which runs to the low beam. HEAD-HI leaves as Y/W to the dimmer and passing light switches. It leaves them as Y, which changes to B/Y at the big connector, which runs to the high beam and the cluster's high beam indicator.

So what you need is going to depend on exactly what you now have. And, like Yngve, I can't tell from your description. Sometimes racers just remove things in the front harness. More serious racers also start chopping up the main harness, but they also tend to replace the ignition switch. We need to know significantly more.

P.S. The Br lead from the ignition switch is for the turn signals, position lights, license plate light, and tail light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
BillV
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing