Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always liked the R77 but Yoshimura only offers it for K7 and later. A search here found the odd reference to the possibility of putting it on an earlier year but I couldn't find anyone who had actually done it. Here it is on my K6:

It was actually guite simple. The muffler mates nicely with a TRC/TRS midpipe. In spite of all the "race use only" warnings, it seems to be quieter than my KR Tuned slipon. There are a bunch of other minor details & comments, should anyone be interested.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've always liked the R77 but Yoshimura only offers it for K7 and later. A search here found the odd reference to the possibility of putting it on an earlier year but I couldn't find anyone who had actually done it. Here it is on my K6:

It was actually guite simple. The muffler mates nicely with a TRC/TRS midpipe. In spite of all the "race use only" warnings, it seems to be quieter than my KR Tuned slipon. There are a bunch of other minor details & comments, should anyone be interested.
Bike looks great BillV. So you installed it with the midpipe that comes with the TRC slip on? Do you have aftermarket headers?

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
^It's the standard TRS/TRC slip-on midpipe, 1116-435. My headers are OEM. The TRS/TRC spring is too short due to different location of the loops on the muffler. I'm currently using a single KR Tuned spring and suspect that Yoshimura's RACE-SPL-1 spring will work. I don't see a need for two springs and am thinking about removing the top loops.

I don't understand why Yoshimura doesn't offer this combination as a standard K5/K6 product.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bill V - You can get and R-77 from Yosh USA directly for the K5/K6 - I just mounted mine. I'm rebuilding mine from a deer strike and had a KR Tuned slip on also. Since you can't get KR's anymore, I had to look for a different slip on.

Long story short - I talked to Yosh (Doug Wells I think it was) and he said it can be done by shortening the TRS mid pipe about 1 inch (and expand it since it is flaired). He did say different springs were needed. This combo is now mounted on my bike and looks great. Haven't ridden it, so cannot comment on sound or compare to the KR.

So, Yosh can do this, ask for Doug because he knows the details to make it work. I suggested they make it available, so the more who call, maybe they'll "officially" add it. Or try to get the Akro....

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^My muffler is the standard CRR77146W product. It fit perfectly with the TRS/TRC midpipe, i.e. snug fit and no shortening or expanding. I'd been warned that it might not mount with the OEM passenger footpeg but it worked just fine with the R&R Racing hanger that I'd been using. As the KR Tuned would work with the OEM footpeg, I'd expect the R77 to also work. But I haven't actually tried it. Note that I'm using the carbon strap rather than the more common steel/plastic strap. But, here again, I don't know why that would matter.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My hanger strap is the steel/rubber backing one and bolts up to an aftermarket brkt which should be the OEM position. The outlet of the muffler stops right at OD of the tire and the emblem is maybe an inch from the hanger strap (this was a concern of Doug's).

Hope this helps someone else

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I got the midpipe on ebay or Craigslist for around $50. It was used but in excellent condition. I'd been looking for some time for a used muffler on ebay but they were either junk, overpriced, part of a dual or full system, or for a 600. Noticed a couple R77 slipon systems for K7/K8 on Craigslist that were around $200 but they were strictly pickup only. Then I managed to get a 30% off coupon that I used to buy the muffler and carbon strap for around $380 shipped.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If anyone is doing this mod I happen to have a TRC slip on mid pipe I can sell cheap. I usually don't try to offer sales in a thread but it seems to fit the discussion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If anyone is doing this mod I happen to have a TRC slip on mid pipe I can sell cheap. I usually don't try to offer sales in a thread but it seems to fit the discussion.
Still have this lol? I have a k5 1000 with stock headers and an r77 carbon muffler but cant connect the two without modifying.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^Yoshimura still sells it but for $150.

In earlier years they also sold the midpipe in titanium. Based on that, the 1116-435 midpipe for our bikes would be 1116-735 in titanium. But I've looked for that part without success so it may never have been produced.

BTW, the pic in the lead post was on Tinypic and is gone. Here it is:

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^Hard to tell from the pic but yours looks like the shorter 12" shell version. If you used a Yoshimura midpipe to muffler spring, what was the part number? They sell several with different lengths.

·
Registered
15 Posts

These springs actually came from the headers I bought on facebook, meant to join the 4 into 2 or the 2 into 1. Not sure what the part number is but hopefully this helps.

·
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the pics. There are several variants but the main difference is the length of the straight portion of the shell. The 14" length was used on Hayabusa's and single exhaust 1000's while the 12" length was used on dual exhaust 1000's and 600/750. Yours is the 12" which is why your strap crosses the emblem. It should be slightly louder than the 14". AFAIK they are identical with regard to pipe diameters, etc. The exhaust pipe on mine comes straight out but I think they've since changed to a flared tip per this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts