Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started the R2SL event off with a huge crowd, and I am please to say that we raised a significant (like $130k and still counting) amount of donations for the charities we're supporting!

Thursday, I finally got out on the track for a few sessions. My first session seemed horrible, I just couldn't get into it and my braking was popping the bike up like crazy. My 2nd session was better but I just wasn't feeling solid on the bike; going through turn 4, I'd hit bumps and skip the back end out. A quick trip over to Marcus of Racing Performance Services for some tweaking stiffened up the front end, and now it was handling great! I went out in the last session with Mike Applehans (hcr25 on this board) for some instruction. He pointed out how messed up my body position was, and in the span of about 20 minutes of riding we sorted that out. Felt weird at first, but started to get "normal".

On Friday, I didn't get to ride much. We had 150 people out there riding, and I spent most of my day helping to make sure that could happen smoothly. I did get out in the last session for a few laps with Tony (charity exec. director) so that we could close out the event, but by that point I was so tired I could barely get on the bike so I went pretty slow.

Saturday - no riding for me. I was hoping to get out for morning practice, but a solid flurry of red flags and track cleanups negated that possibility for me. We did get to watch some kick ass SuperMoto racing in the rain though, when a nice storm blew over the track! Nothing like a moto bike hydroplaning through 3 inches of water at 60mph.

Sunday - I had to change my gearing and put on some fork rock guards, so I missed the first practice. I did get out in the second morning practice, and all of a sudden the body position thing I was working on the day before clicked! I dropped 3 seconds off my laptime instantly, which put me at my goal for the weekend, and I hadn't even raced yet. Noyce!

First race was Amateur GTU. I was gridded in the front of the second wave, and my start SUCKED. Bogged down hard and got passed by the rest of the pack before I even got to turn 1. My finish was towards the back of the pack as a result, however I beat my practice time by another 3 seconds!! I had now beat my laptime goal for the weekend by 3 seconds, and despite a crappy finish I still feel like I accomplished more than I set out to. I also grew a pair and leaned the bike over more, and am starting to grasp the concept of corner speed and braking.

Second (last) race was Middleweight Supersport. Now, this grid is filled with the fastest guys in the club this year, so I wasn't expecting to exactly be in the top 10. In fact I finished last, which isn't much of a stretch from last year - except that last year I was 5 seconds off the pack, and this race I am 1 second off the pack. This tells me that if I can shave off another couple seconds (definitely doable, I have lean angle left in the bike and could get better drive out of corners if I set up my exits better) and practice starts, I stand a good chance of moving up the pack. I also worked on braking during this race and was able to stop it a lot faster and brake later. A lot of this came from the suspension work, which kept my back end from flying around.

I'm going to try and do some more work with faster racers, if I can continue to make strides in my skill level I feel that I can drop a lot more laptime than I have already. Now that I know how to hang off the bike, can control it, and it's set up better, I think I'll be able to begin being competetive in these races. Amateur U has several slower people in it so if I can get a good start out of that and get enough points to grid into the first wave, I should be able to pull a decent finish. My start in MWSS still sucked but was a little better, I was still in the pack into turn 1 but got passed since I didn't push as hard (didn't know I could there until later in the race).

I am definitely looking forward to Second Creek three weeks from now on June 4/5! Going to turn some laps and finish off these tires (which are nearly to the wear bars and were friggen hot by the end of MWSS), and get a new set mounted probably at the race weekend. Hopefully I'll get some saturday practice in as well... The Michelins are holding GREAT, which is even better since I am on the Pilot Power street tires. Very neutral and predictable handling, and so far they have given me no indication that they're not up to the task. These things are basically an entry level race DOT that heats up to "sticky temp" in less than a lap and doesn't empty my wallet, so I will be using them until I actually *need* a full-on race DOT.

Overall I am happy with this weekend. Sometimes it isn't about how you finish, as long as you have fun and do what you came to do. I had a blast, and exceeded my own goals, so I feel like it was a personal victory, if nothing else. I'm also looking forward to improving myself constantly; I know my laptime from last season at SCR, so on my trackday I want to beat that by 2 full seconds. On the race weekend, I want to knock another 2 off. I think I will at least be able to do that, so we'll see what happens!

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flesh are you still fighting that piece of shit? What is up with it now? I thought you had it working...

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
I dunno, I just wish a certain shop out here was not as freaking busy as they always are. They are aggravating as hell.

Anyway I am not 100% sure what all is wrong. I am still working on it, 4 hours every fucking day basically.

To tell you the truth, Fleshy is really contimplating parting the bike out and calling the season quits for now.

I want TC's sisters ZX10, that thing runs perfect heh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.