Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Can someone please give me all the details (as much information as possible) on how to do the conversion R1 wheels to 01-02 GSXR 1000. Everything that I will need to do it myself. Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Awesome first post :dissapointed

·
Administrator
13,382 Posts
Op ... go to the ‘starting line’ section and intro yourself properly.

THEN members will be more likely to help

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Never seen anyone put R1 wheels on a GSXR-1000. You kind of make it sound like this is a common thing to do with your question?

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
OP makes thread,then logs out and hasn't been back. :thumbup

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,716 Posts
He didn't mention the year of the R1 wheels so I picked 2014 at random. The front wheel bearing has a 22 mm ID vs 25 mm for the Suzuki. That sounds like a major issue and the topic has barely been touched. Off hand, a really bad idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not realize I had to go through a ritual to ask for assistance on the greatest GSXR sites known. To answer your questions: I chose R1 wheels because I like the 5 spokes and would like to try something different. Also, I read a few threads where the conversion was done but they never went in detail. I honestly figured that I would receive assistance from who ever did the conversion on this site. I would have never guessed that a Gixxer veteran like Oldgixxer would be so uninviting. He apparently doesn't remember when he first begin Gixxer and asked for assistance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your response. The R1 wheels are off of 06. Why do you think it is a bad idea? If possible, can you offer more detail on the topic? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He didn't mention the year of the R1 wheels so I picked 2014 at random. The front wheel bearing has a 22 mm ID vs 25 mm for the Suzuki. That sounds like a major issue and the topic has barely been touched. Off hand, a really bad idea.

Thanks for your response. The R1 wheels are off of 06. Why do you think it is a bad idea? If possible, can you offer more detail on the topic?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
Thanks for your response. The R1 wheels are off of 06. Why do you think it is a bad idea? If possible, can you offer more detail on the topic? Thanks
He just told you why, actually he just told you only 1 reason why. For starters just the front wheel has a smaller ID bearing that the GSXR so you'll either need to find custom bearings to be made that match the ID of the R1 wheel to the OD of the GSXR front axle which is larger, and that doesn't even get into the issue of aligning the wheel properly in the forks and what if any rotor offset needs to be taken into consideration which will require custom spacers to be fabricated. Again that's just the front wheel. The rear wheel will likely carry the same list of issues with clearances and alignments.

Not to say its impossible, just that if this was a common mod that people frequently did then your question wouldn't seem like its so far out of left field. As it happens to be I've never (and I'd wager most on here haven't as well) seen anyone try to do this so its not like "what exactly do I need to do to make this work" is readily available information that has been well documented.

If you were asking something like, how to I fit 17 inch WC GSXR rims onto an older 18 inch rim'd GSXR oiler then that is something that is well documented and has been done alot by those on here (myself included).

Your best bet would be to take the wheels and mock them up and take the measurements and figure out what needs to be done. You can feel free to share your findings on here when you get it squared away in case anyone else ever decides to do the same, though I'm still not sure why you're doing this in the first place. :dunno

·
Administrator
13,382 Posts
I did not realize I had to go through a ritual to ask for assistance on the greatest GSXR sites known. To answer your questions: I chose R1 wheels because I like the 5 spokes and would like to try something different. Also, I read a few threads where the conversion was done but they never went in detail. I honestly figured that I would receive assistance from who ever did the conversion on this site. I would have never guessed that a Gixxer veteran like Oldgixxer would be so uninviting. He apparently doesn't remember when he first begin Gixxer and asked for assistance.
You have no idea how many fuckheads come on here , ask questions and members take the time to answer ... and never come back.

As far as I’m concerned I’m well over it ... if you had made the effort to log on and ask a question don’t leave people hanging for days for you to reply , you won’t get much help tbh.

Oldgixxer has been here long enough to have been through this even more so than me ... can you blame the guy ??!!

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
:facepalm
The flaw with your reply is that I don't immediately join a forum,make my very first post asking for:someone please give me all the details (as much information as possible) on how to do the conversion.... Everything that I will need to do it myself. without contributing something in return to the community. This isn't a Facebook group...

·
Administrator
13,382 Posts
:facepalm
The flaw with your reply is that I don't immediately join a forum,make my very first post asking for:someone please give me all the details (as much information as possible) on how to do the conversion.... Everything that I will need to do it myself. without contributing something in return to the community. This isn't a Facebook group...
Dude ... wtf has happened to peeps manners , I don’t just walk up to random people and talk at them , what makes it any different on here ??!!

Op it’s a more of a family here , we help each other alot ... but who are you ??? What’s your history with bikes ???

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Hi family,
Y'all know me, been here since 2008 and yes, I am a very respected and beloved moderator here. So family, who's willing to float me a $5,000 loan? I really would like to buy a Barrett .50 cal. sniper rifle...anyone??

·
Administrator
13,382 Posts
Hi family,
Y'all know me, been here since 2008 and yes, I am a very respected and beloved moderator here. So family, who's willing to float me a $5,000 loan? I really would like to buy a Barrett .50 cal. sniper rifle...anyone??
Sure ... just sign this piece of paper , no need to read the ‘fine print’ :fact

1 - 20 of 29 Posts