Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if anyone here has switched from an 04' or 05' R1 to the new 1K.

Recently I sold my 04' R1, and now I'm looking at an 05' 1K.

The ergos on my 02' 1K stunk. I'm 6'3".

I've worked what I think is a great deal on an 05' 1K.

$10,849 OTD tax. tags, and extended warranty.

Oh yeah, I could careless about all the power hype. How does it handle?

My 04' R1 was by far the best handling bike I've had too date.

Thanks...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Why'd you sell it?

Ergo's feel good on the k5 compared to my '01 R1 (different comparison I know). I'm 5'11", ergos from the old R1 used to hurt me pretty bad towards the end of a long ride. Much more comfortable on the new Suzuki for me anyway. Handles really well, can't compare it to the '04-'05 R1's but it's solid. Feels planted, not twitchy @ full lean.

Nice pic

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was clearing all the bikes in the garage.

Getting married.

The fiancee knows how much riding means to me, so I'm getting another one being an R1 or 1K.

I can't imagine the handling being better on the 1K, but I'd like opinions.

Plus I can get the better deal on the 1K.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am 6'5" and thought at first the 05 1k was a little cramped. I think the bike is so small compared to past years, its more of a mind thing. After riding it for some miles, I am very comfortable on it. Just dont expect to tuck under the fairing at high speed!

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you liked the handling on it that much (I assume all the suspenders were stock?) then you should probably stick w/ what you know. I've had 3 R1's (don't ask), a '98, '00 & '01. Before that I rode a few 900rr's etc. etc. I was in the market for a new bike like yourself and wanted to see what all the hype was about. Honestly I'm glad I got this '051k and every time I ride it I'm more pleased with the bike. I usually got taken in the twists by a friend of mine on a 600, not anymore.

The only thing that sucks about your situation if you buy the R1 is that it's due for a re-design next year, so you'll be left holding the bag so to speak if next year's model is something extraordinary. However I don't think you'll be disappointed with the k5. If you can get a good deal why not try something new? I did and it worked out.

Just killing time and bumping this up until someone posts up w/ the info you're looking for.......

·
Registered
686 Posts
I hate to say it man, but if you thought the 04 R1"stunk" and you are 6'3", you may not find the new K5 very appealing. I'm 6' 220lbs and I would say I'm borderline. Gets pretty cramped in a tuck.

The author of the K5 review in the Motorcyclist a month ago was 6'3" and claimed cramps set in after around 20 mins of hard riding and that the cockpit felt very small with little wiggle room, compared to the K4, which muc more comfortable to him. In the end, the power and handling of the K5 won him over though!!!!

Hopefully a few others on here that are of taller stature will post their thoughts. A review while riding on the track is one thing, standard daily riding is another story all together.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

The ergos do feel much better than my 02' 1K.

However the major factor for me is handling.

I'll never get anywhere near the bikes potential, but I'd like to know when I go into a corner the bike just goes where I point it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to say it man, but if you thought the 04 R1"stunk" and you are 6'3", you may not find the new K5 very appealing. I'm 6' 220lbs and I would say I'm borderline. Gets pretty cramped in a tuck.

The author of the K5 review in the Motorcyclist a month ago was 6'3" and claimed cramps set in after around 20 mins of hard riding and that the cockpit felt very small with little wiggle room, compared to the K4, which muc more comfortable to him. In the end, the power and handling of the K5 won him over though!!!!

Hopefully a few others on here that are of taller stature will post their thoughts. A review while riding on the track is one thing, standard daily riding is another story all together.
The ergos on my 02' 1K stunk.

While on the R1 they were great.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The ergos on my 02' 1K stunk.

While on the R1 they were great.
Damn, my bad!!!! been looking at "code" acronyms on my monitor all day and this evening so everything is coming to a blur. Must be time to get to bed!

As for you "handling" comment above... you are going to really like the handling of the K5... ssshhhhweeeeettttt!!!!! The only thing that I wish were a little better was the feel of the back brake peddle. Some don't use the back, but I do. The K5 has very little feel. I'm hoping some braided lines will help improve that though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought the K5 three days ago. I am only 6 Feet tall but the true test was my dad who is 6'3... just like you. He is 48 years old and has been riding for over 30 years. I was worried about him bitching about how uncomfortable my K5 was, and to my suprise, he thought it was very comfortable. We swapped bikes for about 30 miles and he said that he was impressed at how ergonomic it actually was. Bottom line.... If my 48 year old father thought it was some what comfortable.... you should be okay. Handles great too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
6'3'' and comfortable on a 05, are you serious?? My bad, it's a nightmare, i still don't know if i should buy this small bike, there's a nice Black LE waiting for me at my dealer, but i'm 6'3'' too, and i don't know if i can live with the lack of legroom!!!!

Any update from you tall guys with the 05???

·
Registered
108 Posts
well, im 6'6" on a K5 1000.....

small cockpit but the ergos make it "comfortable". The 04 had a bunch more room and felt physically larger in every dimension but the K5 holds a tall frame suprisingly well for its compact size. I dont get uncomfortable on the bike however I do feel physically large on it...as I do on any other bike though

·
Registered
351 Posts
i just switched over from the r1 (04) to the gsxr(05) the gsxr feels a lot faster down low. it actually feels quicker up top too, maybe 5-6 more hp and 8-10 more ft lbs.

im 6'5 and i fit fine on the gsxr. its a more agressive style, but i can handle it. the r1 looks smaller overall(dont deny it, i owned one.) the gas tank section of the gsxr makes the bike look big from behind. other then that, its not that much smaller then the r1. but its a much better performer. it handles exactly like a 600. awsome bike. although i think i got jipped on a 'setup' fee from my dealership, which im really pissed about. and if you can buy it for MSRP OUT THE DOOR, which i will give you a heads up you CAN AND WILL NOT, buy it. no dealership in the usa will discount gsxr 1k's for 05.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.