Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my last post I brought up how my bike died while I was riding and the battery was smoking/smelling. I removed my stator and r/r and they both look completely fine. The Stator isn’t burnt anywhere and the r/r doesn’t have any bulges in the back. Are there any other possible issues that could’ve caused my bike to shut down, blow multiple fuses, and blow the low beam?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Have you tested your charging system? Like check the voltage at battery at idle and at 5,000RPM's?
And have you used a DMM to check the R/R instead of going by how it looks? Service manual has the values for how it should test out. Pay close attention to the connection between the stator and R/R.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
^^+1 on all that stuff, plus the rectifier doesn't have to look physically damaged to be fucked up, and it can even function normally when cold and stop functioning correctly when hot so you really need to do more tests than just eye balling it

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,146 Posts
If you charge your battery externally, you should be able to disconnect your R/R and stator from the electrics of the bike and take them out of the picture for the time being. If then you still don't get any priming and the starter doesn't operate, you'll have to check the interlock system. Search the site for terms like "ignition interlock test CHEC sidestand starter", as there's plenty of advice there already. A dead ECU is certainly a possibility given the history of the issue, but since the starter isn't operating either, something might have failed which prevents the ECU from being powered. Suspects include the starter button (due to overheating from the overvoltage), the sidestand relay and other components of the interlock.

Once you get your engine to run and repair any damage that might have been caused by the overvoltage, you can test the charging system components and replace as necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts