Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I'm about to remove my rear wheel on the K3 1000

It has a set of R&G crash bungs fitted into the axle.
They are the "press/hammer-in" type.

How do I go about removing the one on the nut side to slide the axle out and remove the wheel ?

Im assuming it is just a case of using a large open ended spanner and pushing it out using the axle nut as a press to wind it off squarely ?
Or am I missing somthing obvious that easier ?

I ask as I'd like to have used a socket on the axle bolt really rather than an open ended spanner, but the crash bung prevents me from doing so.

I'd also like to be able to re-use the crash bung and refit it securely when the wheel is back on.
(I'm changing the rear brake rotor)
Am I right in thinking this is the way people remove the crash bung in order to slide the axle out ?

I think I'm right but I like to check as I haven't removed one before of this type.
Thanks in advance
Johnny

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,715 Posts
Do you have a picture? Off hand, "hammer in" sounds like a stupid design if it impedes your ability to remove the axle.

On the R&G website I see swingarm protectors that are installed onto the axle with hex socket drive screws. I'd think that with them, they'd come right off if the screw was removed.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a picture? Off hand, "hammer in" sounds like a stupid design if it impedes your ability to remove the axle.

On the R&G website I see swingarm protectors that are installed onto the axle with hex socket drive screws. I'd think that with them, they'd come right off if the screw was removed.
This is my setup
I have two paddock stand bobbins screwed on via the 8mm Allen caps, but I also have the bungs in the back axle, they were press in type bungs.

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,715 Posts
If yours truly are press/hammer-in and prevent you from easily removing the axle nut, I'd replace them with this. But it's probably worth calling or emailing them before buying to make sure that the new ones don't have the same problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts