Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a pair of sliders and a fender eliminator from R&G. I installed them, they both fit fantastic. Great products. My question is..... on the installation sheet for the sliders it warns not to tighten them more than 40nm (29.5 lb-ft). I did this and the left slider will turn or spin if you grab it and spin it. Not much but it will turn. The service manual has a value of 54nm (40 lb-ft) for the stock bolts. I would like to use this value, but I don't want to strip anything. I emailed R&G but it usually takes them several days to get back. Has anyone else installed these things, and If so what torque can I use? Thanks

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
If you can turn the slider by hand, it's not tight. That's an engine mount bolt so I'd tighten it per the suzuki service manual

·
Registered
422 Posts
If R & G are specifying a lower torque figure its probably for a good reason. They are a reputable outfit and very well thought of. I'd drop them a e mail before going agains't the instructions.

JMTPW

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the RG also. My left one does the same thing. The bolt is at the right torque. I emailed them and thy said that is normal. It was designed like that they said.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
The threads are in the engine. That's what needs to be tight. Otherwise the bolt may back out due to vibration

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dont forget, R&G are using a torque to yield method for the bolts. They state in the instructions to lightly tighten the bolts, then go 1/4 turn more, not to exceed 40nm of touque. they are not saying to torque to 40nm.

FrankC, I got the sliders and plate holder too, does your plate light work??? Mined does not.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did'nt use the light because my license plate would'nt fit in the pre drilled holes. I took it off and drilled new holes.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
They're using turn of the nut method is what it's actually called. It's usually used for structural bolting for buildings, bridges etc. I'm not sure what you mean that the bolts absorb the energy Amethi. The slider should absorb energy. The bolts should be tight. They're tight without the slider there right? The bolts is there to hold the engine to the frame. I'm a mechanical engineer. I just don't understand why you'd want your engine bolt loose. Maybe I don't know enough about this but it seems to me that if the slider can turn by hand, the bolt is not tight, there will be added engine vibration due to the loose fit. Just my opinion. I have shoguns and I tightened them per Suzuki's recommended value for the engine bolt. They are tight and you cannot rotate them. My

·
Registered
438 Posts
RG's look great but I love my MV sliders.. I have never seen sliders as fat and thick as my MV's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can someone provide website for R&G sliders and the MV's that were mentioned?

I amm leaning towards shogun sliders at this time..

JT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts