Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before I start, I know this is a ‘marmite’ subject, but I fitted a Healtech quickshifter to my 2000 srad 600 as per the instructions but can’t get it to work. The seller says to try using the bypass cable which shows wether I’be fitted it correctly. Every kit will have a bypass cable they tell me, we’ll I can’t bloody find it, does anyone know what it looks like please (a picture would be nice). By the way, the problem is, every time I select 1st gear the bike stalls, anyone else experienced this. Thanks with baited breath.

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
K, welp what type of shifter is it? they make so many, air, electric, linkage style, electric FI interrupt and CDI... some run off a separate controller..

man far as I remember the old ones for the SRAD's were ran off the signal generator and only worked at a range like 12.13.5 or so otherwise you had to clutch it or use it like normal and just back off the throttle and hit it..

why not just do that? you don't have to lift 100% just about 15% is enough for synchros to level then you just stab it and get back on it, its a timing thing..

only reason you really need a genuine interrupt quickshift that you just hold it WOT and ruin through the gears is land speed or drag racing.. I can't see where a quickshift on an SRAD is going to give you any kind of an edge, why everyone dumped em in the day and they weren't developed much, these bikes shift so fast already specially if you undercut the dogs and do a little tranny work, they shift exceptionally fast IMHO..

on my 1000 I was shifting as fast as any quickshift rider was, ;lest they never went past me, vice versa, the real deal is an air shifter, where you just pull the throttle WO then the air and shifter takes over, now that can save many tenths and mishaps for sure as those air shifter are damn fast shifters once you have it all dialed in its gonna shift faster than a human but its money and work dialing them in,,

I honestly don't think that Healtech was made for your bike and you are trying to chop it in..

get something made for the bike, Healtechs are only made for 2001 and forward.. you really wanna start butchering in an interrupt?

you need a dyno jet, its a linkage style and it simply plugs in like a TRE..

they work and work well once you have it dialed in, it works by disconnecting the ignition as the lever is going up, again really only works well at high RPM ranges... clutch it otherwise

the one you are trying to use disconnects the FI which you don't have?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info TwistedMister but it should work as Healtech are bike specific (apparently)

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
man I just dunno if they truly make that for the 600 carbed bike? look at the install manual, none of those scenarios are the SRAD 600...

call them and make sure, is it a new unit or used? either way call and ask if its specifically for the SRAD 600 or if its a universal type..

look at the part number for that unit, its called the quick shifter easy, with QSE sensor kit.. that is what tells the module the shift is about to happen..

the module then interrupts the ignition... that's all you can do on a carbed bike, hale that quick of a shift it wouldn't even do any good to stall the fuel pump.. there is no fuel injector so stall while the shift happens so all you have is spark, it works to a degree if tranny and all adjustments are up to snuff

so what are you connecting from this Healtech module to stall spark? and where are you connecting it?

seems to me you need to interrupt the signal generator and there is no inline connector so it either connects at the ECU or you have to splice?

there may be another connector spot and thats where they connect the TRE, but does the 600 have a TRE connector?

you must be careful with the 600.. its a mid year bike, some are FI some are carbed, that's why some catalogs list the gen2 600 from 2000-2003, just depends on the part...

post up pics of what you have in the way of the healtech and the part #, is it new or used..

lets start from the beginning and walk through this and determine where the best place to splice in would be..

first we must determine how it actually works and what type of interrupt it is, if it stiull needs a certain frequency to the ECU in order to keep all other things working such as tach and so forth it must be done right, you cannot do a simple ignition interrupt or everything will stop like tach, speedo all that.. it will be like keying off the bike..

you want to just have the ECU to stop lighting up the coils fora nano second then starting again without losing any other vitals as in ignition totally off scenario..

the way it works now is the ignition has a signal generator and its basically like the old CDI car ignitions where a magnet hits a sensors and tells the ECU to ignite the coils...

when the magnet isn't contacting the sensor the sensor is still active telling the ECU I am alive and well and we are up and running but not ready to ignite spark quite yet... so it has a specific ohm reading the ECU is looking for when the sensor is not ready to ignite coils.. say whatever 58k ohms... then when it wants to tell the ECU to ignite coils it changes that reading to say 23k ohms... its all low voltage on that end..

so this interrupt module you have IF you can set it up for when the shifter is moved it actually sends the signal to module time to interrupt, that's the first hurdle..

then you must make sure its changing those values so that it interrupts the signal but not killing it altogether..

these universal modules typically need some modifications to work 100%..

so since the install manual does not show illustrations of the QSE sensor being installed on an SRAD 600 you are going to have to wing it and look at the other pics to get an idea of how it works then go from there.. you will have to determine is this thing going to be reliable once its installed or will it vibrate out of adjustment and just be a PITA?

then determine if it is sending the correct signals to the ECU t properly interrupt the ignition..

pics will help us on this end, we'll run part numbers make sure what you have indeed works and then you should call them for any pointers to get it up and runnign and where to tap into the SRAD's wiring... all my memory serves is they were such a PITA they just weren't worth installing.. so many went other routes, but maybe they upgraded them at this point? new or used? part#?

there is a reason you don't see any youtube videos of this being installed on a carbed gsxr 600

do you have coil sticks or coil packs?

if you have sticks you should have 4 leads that connect directly to the sticks, then the bike leads plug into the other end so there are 4 male ends and 4 female, that's how they interrupt, right at the stick.. very simple

so the rest is set up, you must set up the QSE sensor so it does its job and that's tell the module to interrupt when the shifter is hit..

show us exactly what you got

1 - 5 of 5 Posts