Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I now have 500 miles on my new 05 600 , the place i bought the bike from told me to take it back to them so they can do a tune up but a few of my buddys said all there gonna do is change the oil and charge me 80$, so i am gonna change my oil my self and filter, should i do anything else?

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you sign up for your red R you can gain access to the complete shop manual that will tell you all you need.

I did just the other day for my 05 600 and it has served me well. Best $10 I've ever spent!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Tune up.... BS!

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
ah just check the bolts for your fairings and what not, and yes change the oil. just pay attention to her and listen to her. When she makes noises listen. You don't want the slighest thing wrong. Something minor at 50mph is a lot bigger problem at 150mph. So for all of us just basically sitting on a ROCKET try to take care of her.
Don't be like my idiot freind and leave a leaking battery in your bike and do wheelies on it. You should of seen his swing arm and frame

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theres so many sounds, like I hear a fluttering sound like from the headers, i cant really pin point it but my buddys say that u will hear all kinds of sounds, i will check everything u said. thanks man

jon

·
Registered
610 Posts
The hell with the dealerships. Change the oil and filter yourself, its very easy. Plus the more you work on your bike, the better you get familiar with it. You will save yourself tons of money doing your own service etc... Just have a friend who knows how to do it show you first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Change the oil and filter, I looked @ the manual and the bike place was closed today so i couldnt get the suzuki oil, i got some 20W-50 Valvoline Synthetic like the manual says(actually said get 10w-40, but they didnt have any synthetic 10w-40 @ autozone), put a fram filter in, wasnt difficult @ all, took the right fairing off and went to town, took about 30 min total, and i even cleaned under there while it was off, thanks for advice guys.

Jon

·
Registered
481 Posts
no 10w 40 at autozone? shit the one buy me sells the oil mobil makes for bikes its 10w40. but yeah on the red R and doing it urself dealers like to bend u over and forget the lube... ride save man

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm just about to hit the 500 mark on my 05 600, no-one told me to do a tune up, bike sounds and runs fine, is it necessary or just recommended??

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
There is no need for a tune up! That dealer is full of shit!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have over 800 on my 05 600 and its running like it just came off the show room floor, or maybe i just don't run it that hard
but i guess i should look forward to changing my oil and filter soon.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
All it needs is an oil change, check the chain and tighten all the nuts and bolts you can get to. They may give you some crap of you have a warranty claim, but if you keep your receipts and accurate records and push the issue it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Change the oil and filter, I looked @ the manual and the bike place was closed today so i couldnt get the suzuki oil, i got some 20W-50 Valvoline Synthetic like the manual says(actually said get 10w-40, but they didnt have any synthetic 10w-40 @ autozone), put a fram filter in, wasnt difficult @ all, took the right fairing off and went to town, took about 30 min total, and i even cleaned under there while it was off, thanks for advice guys.

Jon

you really shouldnt use synthetic oil while the bike is still breaking in! i would say switch over to synthetic around 7000 miles not 700 miles! and ive read that car filters are not good for bikes....buy the oem suzuki oem filter! oneida suzuki has them cheap! oh yea and make sure u get that first oil change around 600 miles so you get all the metal shavings from breaking in out of your engine!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Theres so many sounds, like I hear a fluttering sound like from the headers, i cant really pin point it but my buddys say that u will hear all kinds of sounds, i will check everything u said. thanks man

jon
Yeah, I have this really loud sucking noise coming from my intake, almost like it is sucking air! And then there is this really loud noise coming from my exhaust pipe, and when im up to speed there is a loud whistling noise that is made by my helmet. Also, every now and then there is this loud v-twin noise that comes and goes really fast, but then I realize that its just a Harley that I blurred past....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts