Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it when I see moto gp racing, the riders take their foot off of the peg(same side they're going to lean toward) and almost touch the track before making the lean? Can't find an answer on Google. And answers would be appreciated, thanks. I don't do track days ever, so take it easy on me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Husbeast
1,318 Posts
From what I have read, it changes the centre of mas front to rear. Moving 20 to 30lbs of body mass to the rear allows them to brake that much harder and helps keep the rear wheel down.

As to why they always do it on the inside leg, I think it is so they can lock in on the outside leg as they are getting ready to tip in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I actually also researched that a little ebear but came up with the following on the net:
Rossi actually started it and then quite a few others followed. He was asked somewhere why he does it and stated that he "does not know"!.."It just felt comfortable".
He also stated that he did it the first time once when he outbraked somebody and felt he was on the "ragged edge" and it was his natural reaction..it just felt right and worked...
Many well informed spectators will notice that Rossi never used to do it many years back, he started somewhere in the "Moto GP" era...
Others that have copied him also stated: "it just helps with the balance under hard braking/cornering" and "must be my offroad habits creeping in"
Whether it works or not that was what I found from google a while back...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
waronreality
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing