Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a dyno jet quick shifter on my bike recently it's started playing up.

When I try to click up the shifter physically won't move no matter how much pressure I give it with my foot.

When I use the clutch I can change gears as normal.

Not sure if there is actually a problem with the quick shifter it self.

Any ideas or things to inspect? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Your post doesn't make sense.

You say the shifter will not move, yet functions fine when you use the clutch. When you say "not move", do you mean under full throttle conditions you are applying pressure to the shifter and it is not shifting? I suspect if you blip the throttle it will shift fine without the clutch?

A quickshifter is just a pressure switch. Once it detects pressure being applied to the shifter, it either cuts fuel or ignition to make the engine briefly stumble. This is just enough to unload the gears and since the rider is applying pressure to the shifter, it changes gears. All a quickshifter does is allows you to maintain throttle position and it automatically blips the engine.

Don't confuse a quickshifter with an air shifter that is actually making the shift for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before the problem began to occur I'd keep on the throttle and change gears without engaging the clutch.

However now when I attempt to do the same the gear lever physically will not move therefore I can't utilise my quick shifter.

I have to engage the clutch with my hand and change gears as normal.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Sounds like there might be an issue with the QS shift rod pressure/tension sensor

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had the unit installed for over 3-4 years so that could be the case of wear and tear I'll have to do some youtubing and make some adjustments

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I followed the instructions on this YouTube clip

These are the results I got https://imgur.com/a/oye9WSH so I’m assuming safe to say my device is faulty as the circuit isn't opening/closing as I simulated a gear change, just hoping someone can confirm for me as well.

And if anyone has an indication what components I would need to replace to get it working again…

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Won't get any issues if half other components half dynojet? Also if I buy a new sensor will it be simply plug and play?

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Sensor itself is basically an on/off switch that closes or opens circuit depending on what system is used. So it doesn't matter what sensor you use. You can use your old sensor's connector so it will be really easy to use other than DJ product.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,822 Posts
Yup, they wear out over time. Some wear out faster than others. The Bazzaz sensor I have hooked to my ZFI-TC wore out after a couple of years. The nice thing about those (not sure of the DJ sensor has something similar) is that the sensor has a little LED light that activates when its engaged, so if you try to shift and the light doesn't light up its a pretty good indication you have a problem with the sensor.

FYI, make sure you are getting the correct sensor (push or pull) for your shift pattern (normal or GP shift).

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,440 Posts
First, in the most basic sense, the PC is a computer. Connect your laptop and check a few things. First, make sure your firmware is up to date. Next, disable the QS in the PC, power it down, power it back up and re-enable it. The solid state stuff in the PC can degrade and flipping the switch will refresh that cell.

Second, how many times did you test the sensor? One, ten, a hundred? I wouldn't trust one good test.

Third, I've never been a fan of how things connect to the PC. Everyone seems to be focused on the switch, but it could just be a bad connection to the PC. I don't know if the path is 5V or 12V, but losing a little on the supply pin, and then a little more on the signal pin could be enough that the PC just doesn't see the signal.

Lastly, your testing is flawed. Same as bad pins, the sensor could be corroded and "using" too much voltage. Your meter was in the 200k Ohm range for resistance. Drop it down to the 200 Ohm range (three clicks counter clockwise) and test again. See how much resistance the sensor actually has.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks ill take your advice and go from there as best as i can. by no means am i experienced in this sort of thing but if i have the help of others/youtube videos i can possibly manage.

ill test again with the correct setting, what should my multi meter display?

and any idea where i can download the software for my laptop? do DJ offer it on there website?

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,440 Posts
Yes, dynojet has the software and updates for free download. They also have very good support. Your meter should read close to zero. Ideally, whatever you get when you hold the probes together should be what you get when testing the sensor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill do the best that i can ill try downloading the software and turning it on and off/updating and go from there

ill try getting in touch with them also but im from down under (Australia) so it'll be difficult.

and try to retest again on the setting you suggested.

but im no means confident so feel free to post any youtube links or stuff that might help... riding without a quick shifter sucks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts