Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes they are great.....got mine from sargeant thou.....mine have a nice washer and fitted spacer that these dont........makin them only slide down as far as needed every time........

lemme know if u want pix....these parts can b bought from any hardware/home improvement store.......

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
actually I got new spacers and washers as well.... hehe nice and snug

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
just want to shout out to all the 96-99ers here.... like some of you I've probably taken my seat off about 69 times, and I should've gotten the quick release pins 2 years ago!

I bought the pins from Ninj 750 ( [email protected] )

it was cheaper for me to order them from a gixxer.commer and even to ship them from the UK !! hahaha I'd rather support a gixxer.commer than Sargeant !

they fit great and work great. damn it is so easy to get the seat off the bike no, no tools necessary.

here's Ninj's pics of the pins below

Pin fitted to seat and collar removed:

As installed in seat removed from bike:

Costs:

£10 including shipping to UK or $15 plus small shipping charge to US per pair including retaining cords.

The pins are military aircraft spec and are finished in anti corrosion coating.

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heres a lousy photo, but hopefully the explanation will do it for ya katz.....
get some tubing that'll fit around the neck of the pin, cut it at the length i have it, or size it up for your exact fitting; im ahead of myself...

the tubing holds the washer from sliding up the shaft of the pin, rendering it useless....the tubing disallows such action and holds the washer in place- giving a solid fit apon installation....

ps - the tubing shown here is clear---giving the illusion of a thicker pin at its top......jus get some rubber tubing (not color specific)!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks JP,

Pleased youre happy with them. How did you like the retaining cord we fit?

Its just good to be able to pass on something to gixxer.commers. Im sure there are a million ingenious ways of achieving the collar/washer thing so lots of scope for modding your own but at the end of the day there is more than enough clearance underneath the seat subframe so it doesnt matter how deep the pins sit.

Unfortunately we get stitched for shipping to the US but without that these are costing less than 1/2 what Sargeant and the like are charging, now thats a bit much of a profit I think.

Glad to be of service, weve still got a few pairs here if anyone is needing fixed up.

Thanks again

Ride safe

N|nj

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THE "COLLAR" IS NOT CUSTOM.......THEY COME THAT WAY.......IM JUS RELAYIN THE INFO TO KATZ AND ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED...........

GET IT NOW?????

IT SEATS MUCH BETTER THIS WAY AS IVE TRIED IT BOTH WAYS!!!!!!

THANKS FOR THE IGNORANCE TO ME AGAIN!!

PS- THE STOCK ONES COME WITH ZIP TIES, WHICH WORK EQUALLY WELL IN RETAINING THEM TO THE SEAT TABS....MUCH WITHOUT THE RISK OF DRYROT

[ 07-02-2002, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: eSeMeS750WX ]

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J-

you can get the washers and spacers for the pins at , say, home depot....as for the pins themselves.......goto a fastener speciality store.... you can find the pin shaft there....

(i just cut to the chase and got em from sargeant and they fit perfectly...)

lemme know if you want me to give you measurements of em......

ps - sorry to all who read my last post......i get blown off by this guy no matter what i have to say.....its quite frustrating seeing as i started the original post that he used to make money....oh well, live and learn

scott

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
THanx for the reply Es, but im still

I understand how the wider tubing at the neck prevent the washer from sliding thru, but how does the pin secure itself in the hole [in the subframe where u usually screw the bolt in].

I think ill go on a search mission at my hardware store to see if i can get a similar rust-proof pin

KaTz

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Scott.you can get these from a home improvement store you say?

·
Registered
119 Posts
eSeMeS750WX - What's the problem my friend? Im not being in the least bit ignorant towards you or anyone. I never said the "collar" was custom, its blatantly part of the pin which happens to be totally different to the ones weve got. Therefore my point about making a custom washer was referring to the pins we have (that is in fact the purpose of JPs original post ^) and the point about there being a bunch of space underneath the subframe still stands - it doesnt matter how deep the pin sits underneath providing the distance between the pip and the underside of the top of the pin is tight to the seat and these ones are.
Im not arguing that your pins work, its not a competition thing - Im not remotely interested in what Sargeant are doing cos these ones are achieving the same result with a totally different pin from stock we have lying around.

So no need for the shouts. Ive already thanked you for measuring your pins in an earlier post and apologised if it seemed as though you werent getting credit for your measuring skills. To anyone else, Id investigate going to general engineering hardware shops and motorsport manufacturers as this is where these pins are used extensively. Theyre reffered to as "pip pins" so ask around.

Unfortunately, we dont for the most part, have access to aircraft engineers but this is where they originate. So the bottom line is experiment yourself and see what trick ways you can come up with, the scope for having your own design is pretty extensive.

And finally, for the record - the pins I have sitting on my bike now need nothing to hold them in tight, no tube, no washer and as for nylon dude..... it doesnt rot
but maybe your intending to be riding your gixxer into the next millenium

And to close, Ive just noticed Scott has this chip on his shoulder about me making money from his post - nah afraid not dude. Were selling these pins at cost we bought them in for a rally project. As they only come by the box and we needed a few we have surplus stock - its that simple. In the case of airmailing them to the US we're actually loosing money (a VERY small amount) but nonethe less this is a service to fellow Gixxer.commers. I dont need to justfiy our actions to you or anyone - if peeps want receipts for the original goods, I have no problems with that - but if theyre overpriced by virtue of the airmail costs to the other side of the world then its hardly suprising and Id recommend getting them locally.

(if you havent realised, this is all tongue in cheek by the way
)

Rgds

N|nj

Edited cos I cant spell

[ 07-03-2002, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: Ninj 750 ]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Kattz:

What happens is you drill out the threads from the seat sub frame where your seat bolts to now with a very slightly oversized drill - just enough to remove the threads.

Then in place of the bolts, you fit a quick release pin whose base sits flush on the top of the white plastic lug on the seat and the small ball bearing pip sits underneath the seatframe.

To remove and fit the seat all you need to do is press the button on the top and the pips withdraw inside the pin and the pin can be taken out.

If you happen across pins which arent quite right in the distance between the underside of the top and the pip, you will need to pack them out so that they are a tight fit (ie so that the distance is the same from the top of the white seat lug to the underside of the seatframe). This can be achieved by packing them out with a washer or a piece of clear hose (as our man Scott says above).

Alternatively you just shop around and find the pins which afford a nearer (more snug) fit to avoid this.

The size you need to aim for is as close to 1" as possible and that is measured from the underside of the top of the pin (ie the part which will sit flush against the top of the white seat mounting lug) and the pip situated inside the pin. Within reason, all other dimensions are irrelevant as long as you dont have too much of the pin (ie the button end) sitting high as it might end up pushing into your seat foam.

Hope this helps, but its just a case of getting busy with a tape measure and some foot work seeing what you can get from where, or alternatively cut your losses and buy them already sized up.

Happy Modding

N|nj

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OKAY N|nj

lets end this already..........i jus wanted you to know that i felt snubbed after havin several posts ignored , even in my thread i was postin.....felt as thou your business stakes took precedence over what i was sayin....

nonetheless, clear slate here as im not on this site to antagonize, carry a chip, or jus be downright rude......if i have been i apologize.....

hope to not have offended
(no tongue, no cheek)

scott

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not at all, no offense taken.

But be assured if it appeared I had ignored you in that earlier thread (and I feel I cleared this up at the time) that wasnt my intention I didnt think you were expecting a reply, but I get the point.

Finally, let me point out again, this is nothing like "business stakes", Im not in this line of work nor am I (again) making ANY MONEY WHATSOEVER from this, like Ive said Im simply passing on some surplus stock at competitive prices in an attempt to get back the money we spent buying them in and at the same time (and more importantly) passing this saving on to like minded individuals.

Consider it forgotten - misunderstanding

Rgds

N|nj

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can't we all just get along here:D

Got the pins in...Installed them today...Damn, wish I would of done this 2 years ago!

A big thanks to eSeMeS750WX for the idea, and a big thanks to N|nj for hookin up his fellow gixxer.commers.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I bought them from the Sargeant cycle (uk) the day I put my bike on Dyno. The screws were jammed in the threads which were going round with the screws in the subframe. The man at PDQ just drilled the heads off. He said that this was a common problem in CBR900s (Fireblades). I had a Blade for more than a year and never had this problem. So I bought these pins for £27.50 and the same day Ninj750 told us about his find. I was kicking myself for wasting money and then I realized that nylon zip ties work excellent well for that purpose. Now I have nylon ties holding the seat, about 5 spare pairs under the seat hump for emergency use, a whole pack of ties in my tool box and a million lying around at work. I can't be bothered to drill the remaining screws and threads out because I don't have to.
Raz

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I WANT THEM PINS BUT DAMN I DONT SEE SPENDING 25.00 ON SOMETHING THAT SMALL. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF WHERE TO GET THEM A LITTLE CHEAPER..SAY 20.00 TO MY DOOR THEN I WANT THEM. IF NOT I GUESS IM OGING TO THE INDUSTRIAL SUPPLY DOWN THE STREET AND MAKIN MY OWN.

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
j-

in the first ten(10) times you freely and quickly remove and replace your seat, they will have paid for themselves.....i agree they are veryt pricey, but if NINJ can get em to ya for the right price, then goto sargent..... i had mine two days after orderin them (for no extra $$$)

-s

1 - 20 of 23 Posts