Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I'm finally putting up my Harris grip that I had bought last year. I was going to put this up on my 04 750 before it got stolen. Well, now I'm putting it on my 05 750. What's the best way to take stock grips off? Just cut them off? Is there anything I should be looking out for? What's the best way to clean up any left over glues before I put up new grip?
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
there should be instructions

but correct me anyone if i'm wrong
yes i had to cut the old off.

There should be some left over glue on the clip on, so clean it off. Then put the new glue on and the new grip should just slide on. You might have some problem getting it over the lip for the throttle side. I never could get it all the way on.

best of luck with it

·
Registered
335 Posts
You don't have to cut them off...they can be re-used. Take the bar end off and then slip a small screwdriver between the grip and the clip-on. Spray a little brake cleaner in there then work the screwdriver around until you can pull the grip off.
-Harp

·
Registered
670 Posts
I tried to do what Harp did and it just ended up ripping the grips off. So basically, i suggest to just take a blade and slice off those things. Slipping the grips on is probably the hard part. I installed the progrips instead of the harris and they were a bitch. Once it's on, it stays as long as you use the grip glue. Just take your time. Some times i wish I would have just left it stock.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
You don't have to cut them off...they can be re-used. Take the bar end off and then slip a small screwdriver between the grip and the clip-on. Spray a little brake cleaner in there then work the screwdriver around until you can pull the grip off.
-Harp
u mean remove the whole clip on? sure i guess but like u'd really want to reuse the things. seems like to much effort to me.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Cut them off!

·
Registered
115 Posts
cut them off...

grip glue doesnt always work... i used to race MX with atv's and the best way to put grips on that i have found is pour a little gasoline in the grip and shake it around for a sec, then dump the excess out of the grip and slide it on the bars... it makes it slide on easy, and also makes the grip bond to the bars.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Knocker, Those ways may All work but who ever re uses stock Grips jus cut the old one's off scrape the glue off the Cluch hand side and Cut that stupid Lip off the Throttle side or you will end up F'ing the grip up and Buying a second set Like I had to. To get them On Just put a little bit of liquid soap and water on the insde of the grip and on the bar so it's nice and Lubed up like u want your girl to be and jus slide it right on. It's a lil but of a fight but the best way to do it. If U can get a firiend to hold the bike while u do it just in case casue it does take soem force. But once there on adn the water dires up they dont' move so be sure u get them where u want them the first time before it dires. I've also heard people saying they used compressed air and the grip slides on the cushion of air but not ever body has that available. So like I said that is the simpliest way And the way I did it. Good luck

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay guys/gals. Thanks for all the input. It wasn't as difficult as I expected to be. I took me about 20 mins to do the whole thing. First I cut the stock grips off and I used hairspay to slip on new Harris grips. Hardest part was to line up new grips so that both side logos would look the same.(which I kind of f**ked up, they're off little). Anyway, here are some pics of my new Harris grips.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
whats that on your fork tube?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think I heard about that before. I think it's for Regestration, or I.D.ing a bike. I could be wrong though

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think I heard about that before. I think it's for Regestration, or I.D.ing a bike. I could be wrong though
ROFL

Yeah I got my sticker the same way....Good Job installing those grips, looking gooood...

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
In the future have them put it lower down on the fork so you can't see it
That's what I do
As far as the grips go
I have Pro grips
Cut off the old ones and use any solvent to put the new ones on
Acetone
methanol
rubbing alcohol
Something that dries quickly
Soap and water works but isn't always fast to dry where as sovents are gone in seconds
Gasoline works as well but not recommended

·
Registered
505 Posts
Crap, I posted this before, I don't know if it'll work with motorcycle grips, but I used to ride BMX bikes back in the days, and have put on my share of hand grips. Used to, the ends would break apart because the bars would hit the cement so often, then it'd go down in the dirt and dirt would get under the grip and cause it to slide around. So what I would do is remove the grips and then wash the insides of them with soap and water, running a rag through the middle to remove any excess dirt. Then I would rise and let dry. Put the very end of the grips onto the bar and line them up straight. Hold the grip with one hand to keep it in shape, and smack the other end with your other hand (not too hard but enough to slide it on) It sounds like it would just bend, but you having your other hand on it keeps it from bending over, and the fact that your hand is smacking on the other end kinda seals it so that as it slides onto the handle bars the air stays inside the grip, causing it to only be able to escape around where the grip meets the metal. It'd usually take 2 or 3 trys, but it'd eventually slide all the way on. I had tried hair spray and alcohol and grip glue, but all that stuff would eventually loosen up the grip. Only rubber to metal with nothing in between would keep the on there good. But then again, we're not really putting that much force against the grip as you would on a BMX bike, so I guess being that anal isn't really important...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
yeah i also just put mine on ...went pretty good although i do notice that on the throttle side there is a lilttle gap between the grip and the plastic housing where the kill switch is ..no big deal

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put my ProGrips on last night, throttle side fits perfect, I used hairspray for it to stick, was told this was a good way. The clutch side is loose though, I used hair spray, and some kinda of contact cement stuff, but when I put it on, it felt like the grip was a tab bit bigger than the clip on, so.....

This morning it was stuck pretty good, although I didn't twist it....I'm wondering if it will get loose, cause I could turn it pretty easy last night...

Anyone else have this issue?

By the way....awesome site! Thanks Cheddar and Caper!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts