Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to an electron microscope that can do elemental analysis. I kept my oil filter from the first change and drained some gunk out of it. (I'm yet to get the filter open without spraying particles everywhere). I'll post a link to the report below.

You can see what you'd expect - sheared and torn pieces of Al and Fe, but I came across a lot of Molybdenum particles - they don't look like conglomerates from the oil, and they are way too bright to be Sulfur. Also, found a big chunk of lead and some tin. It was interesting to see the Iron chunks - apparently that magnet misses a lot.

I hope to get the filter open to do a more thorough analysis and then compare the particles once the engine is broken in. I assume I'll find bigger particle caught in the filter.

If anyone has any questions or further analysis let me know. I'd be interested to compare aftermarket air/oil filters to see how they are made and what they are catching. I'm not quite ready to sacrifice my stainless filer on my bandit.

Ignore the Gold and Palladium on the chart (conductive coating for imaging), sadly you can't pan for gold in your oil.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjia0w2hseheqau/oil.pdf?dl=0

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
What year bike/engine? And if it's the first oil.change of a brand new bike then I would expect more metal particles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year bike/engine? And if it's the first oil.change of a brand new bike then I would expect more metal particles.
Sorry man. 2017 GSXR1000RRRRRRR
There really wasn't much metal on the magnet or in the oil to be honest. Once I get the filter open I expect to find more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts