Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been enjoying my track days lately on my K6 600 and have started putting down some decent intermediate times. This past weekend I had a buddy show up on his 05 Kawi 636 and ran around Autobahn North with me for half a day on Saturday (til he got bumped to A). I was amazed at how quick his bike was coming out of corners and just weaving around people like they’re standing still. After some discussion, his gearing came up that he’s -1/+2 which was pretty much the main difference between our modifications on our bikes. He also said when he was behind me that it seemed like my bike just wasn’t running through the revs like it should (I was still in 3rd on the straight while he’s into 5th). This got me wondering about changing up the gearing on my bike.

I don’t need it to be out of control where I’m lifting the tire out of every corner, but was wondering if +1 or +2 in the rear might help me out with a little acceleration. As for the tracks I’m running, I’m in Chicago so stick with the Illinois (ACC), Michigan (Grattan, G-man), and Putnam down in Indy so nothing super long like Road America. Just wondering what you guys are running who see these types of tracks on a regular basis and if this is something I should be considering going forward.

I’ve heard that if you change out sprockets you should also change the chain at the same time. No problem with that as they usually come as a kit, but there’s also the option of switching to the 520 kit or whatever that is (honestly haven’t looked into it). For those who have gone with the “lightweight” chain, did you feel that much of a difference? Worth doing if I’m possibly going to be changing gearing anyways? I would rather have reliability with a stock type chain versus a minimal gain (butt dyno improvement) if that's the case.

·
The Husbeast
1,318 Posts
A gearing change will definitely improve acceleration but you will lose top end. If you are not using all of your gears at the track, -1/+2 will help with that for sure. I did a change on my track bike this year, I went from -1/+2 to -2/+2, this made a big difference. With the first combo I was only reaching the top of 5th gear at 250kph indicated when I hit the braking zone at the end of the front straight. With the change I'm getting to 13000rpm in 6th gear at 270kph indicated (I know its not actual speed) and getting to the braking zone quite a bit quicker. Thats with a 180/60 Super Corsa.

I also use a 520 setup as well, It just lightens up the drive train to free up power otherwise used to turn the extra weight. A good 520 kit will be rated for 200+HP and is much stronger than OEM, more than adequate for a 600. Lots of guys out there will back this up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any thoughts on picking up a +2 rear sprocket and keeping the stock front gear and chain? Will it fit? Is it dangerous to me or the chain/sprocket to go with an old chain and new sprocket?

·
The Husbeast
1,318 Posts
It all really depends on the wear on the existing set. If you have a 525 on there make sure you stick with a 525 sprocket. If there is minimal wear it is safe to change a single sprocket, lots of racers do it for different tracks. But, if the parts are showing significant signs of wear, it's better to do it all at the same time. One thing to consider is that with +2R you will shorten your wheel base and vice versa if you go down in teeth. If you want to keep the current wheel base you might want to go -1F/+1R. It is a little more agressive that +2R but not by much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts