Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently got the bug for a gixxer, and have narrowed it down to a 96-99 R600. Here are my questions:

What are the big differences between 96-99?
Are there any particular (common) problems with any year in that range?
What are the advantages/dissadvantages of the SRAD models?
Anything else Gixxer-specific to check when looking at a bike?

Also, I am looking for a mono, with the "bumble bee’s ass" tail section. If I end up buying a two seater, can the mono tail be easily fitted? Are the mono tail sections hard to come by?

Any insight would be greatly apprecited. TIA!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
GSXR's [and other suzuki's] come with both the cowl [bee's arse] and a pillion seat. They're interchangeable.

If the seller only has one, ask him where the other is. If it's not there, knock down the price.

GSXR600 SRAD starts from 97-2000.
The 2001+ models have Fi and a new design.

The 97 does not have compression damping adjustments. Whereas, 98-2000 models are fully adjustable front & rear.

97 model has a 45 tooth rear sprocket, the rest has a 46 tooth rear, stock.

Apart from those mentioned, i think they tweaked the motor a bit to gain a few hp's over the yrs. But nothing as significant as the 2001 model.

These bikes have had a fuel pump gasket recall, check if it's been done.

And the cam chain tensioner [CCT] has been a problem for many owners. Solution is to replace it with a manual one. Do a search on this forum for more info, and i think there's something in the FAQ section too.

KaTz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Katz-

Thanks man! That was just the sort of info I was after. I think I am leaning towards the `98 6 now. If anyone else has anything to say about that particular year/model, I am all ears. BTW, I've been reading a lot of previous posts/topics, and have to say that this board rocks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts