Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving to San Diego next month. I'm new to that area and have some questions. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or links.

1. My bike is a non California(US) model. Will I run into trouble with registering/ inspection/ emissions etc.? My bike only has a Micron slip-on.

2. Lane splitting. How does the law work for that? Do the cagers give you any trouble because of it. Looks too risky.

3. Parking. I often park on a safe curb or sidewalk where there is minimal foot traffic. Will this anger merchants and/or the police in SD?

4. Where can I meet and ride with non-squids? PM me.

·
He Who Touches Himself
6,620 Posts
Wassup man!

I'm from Louisiana too and I just left my bike registered in LA. From what I've seen, it would have been a hassle to get it changed to CA. As for the lane splitting, I've heard different thing from different people. As long as you don't look like you're doing something crazy the cops I've seen won't mess with you. Parking is something else, all depends on where you go.

Hope this helps! what part of LA you from? I'm from Alexandria and I'm stationed at Ft. Irwin but I live in Barstow.

holla!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well I dont have any real information as far as registering your bike here, but I will give you my insight as far as the other topics.

I've never had any trouble for splitting lanes. Infact i've split right past a CHP officer and have followed CHP officers on their bikes as they split. The rule of thumb is to not exceed 15 mph over the flow of traffic. So basically if everyone's doing 10 mph.. you can't be going over 25 mph as you split traffic.

I do know of people who have been pulled of it, but they're never honest as to just why they have been pulled. It is legal though, according to the DMV

As far as parking, I've heard of some horror stories as far as leaving your bike on a sidewalk. I've done it a few times (in the rain) with the Ok from the owner or manager of the store i've done it at and never rean into any problems as far as that goes. Do watch out though, bike theft is somewhat rampid down here it seems.

As far as meeting up, this seems to be a pretty good place to meet new people.

best of luck in the move.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
As far as reg goes, you shouldn't have any problem. We reg'd my wife's '02 600 from Illinois with only 1500 miles no problem. Just have all your paperwork in order before you go.

Lane splitting is cool. Keep you speeds around 10-15 above the bumper to bumper and you should be fine. Cagers will get pissed, some may even creep into your "lane" and try to block you, but keep on your toes and constantly look for trouble. Most are pretty cool about it though.

Can't help you with the last two, I'm up in No. Cal. Not sure if there's different issues with parking down there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, just moved here, and thinking of getting the bike registered but now that I think about it, I may not.

Probably ride it till I get pulled over for out of state plate, we'll see.

What part of SD are you moving to?

I'm in the south OC, so not too far away. Let me know if you wanna ride

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys. I'm currently in Baton Rouge. I'll be in SD sometime the first week of May. I'm still trying to arrange a ride/tow there because I really don't want to ride that far, and have to mail the rest of my belongings. I'm going to just register and pay whatever it's going to cost. I'm never coming back to this shithole again. I also got what I think was a great quote from State Farm in SD. I'll be somewhere around Del Mar. Where is south OC?

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Freak,
Be extremely careful on who you chose to transport the bike i had mine shipped from S.D. and it was almost brand new at the time and had no scratches what so ever when the bike got delivered the front fender was cracked and the windscreen all scratched up ( was extremely pissed off)
.... make sure about the insurance that they provide and make sure it will cover the full value of the bike and document everything on it.... if you have a digital camera or even a regular one take alot of pics of it.... luckily i did and i told them that so they were ready to pay for the damages when i told them that... i think that if i didnt take pics they would have given me a hard time. it shouldnt cost more then a couple hundred to ship mine was just over $700 from san diego to nyc with $10000 coverage on the bike.... good luck with it...

Also i should be back there in the next couple of months and know alot of great roads that i could show ya....
the people on this site that i have met seem to be really cool and not retards out on the street!!!
BE WARNED BE CAREFUL THE FIRST COUPLE OF TIMES YOU RIDE THIS ROAD!!!!!

Life

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll be somewhere around Del Mar. Where is south OC?
I'm in the Laguna Hills/Niguel area, but if you want to get technical San Clemente is the most southern part of orange county.

I'll be in San Diego this weekend visiting a friend actually...

Del Mar is north of SD and not to far from where I'm at.

I just got my bike today, but my stuff and keys got lost at Fedex. I'm stoked as hell and pissed all at the same time, what could be worse.

If I could suggest haulbikes.com I got mine shipped from WI in two weeks for less than $500, with no prep work required. Check'm out, I did my homework.

Anyways, hit me up when you get out here, I'm always down to ride.

Brett

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well fellas be careful out there,the usual good riding spots seems to be a heaven for CHP as well.Ride safe..

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have an 04 600 with only 12xx miles on it will i have trouble registering it because i talked to a dealer they said i need to have at least 7500 miles on it. all the paper work i have is the one that came from suzuki.

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
you'll have no problems reg. ithe bike, mine was a non-cal bike with 0 miles..got it regisered the next day..
lane splitting is cool, but do it at a safe speed..watch foer the asshole that will fake you out..
a foot in the door will cure that.
dont park on the sidewalk...
palomar, and 74 is a great place to ride..

·
Registered
705 Posts
Legally, "lane splitting" is illegal in California. "Lane sharing" is legal. The difference, and MOST cops don't care, is whether you go back and forth over the white dotted line, or not. Like I said, most cops don't care but I always try not cross the lines when they are behind me.
BTW... how is Palomar right now? I haven't been down there in awhile, but plan to do a sunday ride with some guys down there in a couple of weeks.
Hope all goes well with the move.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Legally, "lane splitting" is illegal in California. "Lane sharing" is legal. The difference, and MOST cops don't care, is whether you go back and forth over the white dotted line, or not. Like I said, most cops don't care but I always try not cross the lines when they are behind me.
BTW... how is Palomar right now? I haven't been down there in awhile, but plan to do a sunday ride with some guys down there in a couple of weeks.
Hope all goes well with the move.
Well...not exactly illegal. Go to http://www.chp.ca.gov/ , news and informantion, Q&A, you will see this: Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

So, this is the CHP's opinion on the matter. However, I have been pulled over once and yelled at twice by San Diego PD for lane splitting. Whenever I split lanes near a CHP, they tend to give me room to pass. When I see a city cop, I'm lookin' for another way around.

·
Banned
16,404 Posts
next time those losers from san diego pull you over for this, tell'em to write it up or shut it up..

·
Registered
3 Posts
HEY YO,

I'm in San Diego, not too far from where you are moving to, probably 5 miles. So hit me up when you get down here. I need more riding partners!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well...not exactly illegal. Go to http://www.chp.ca.gov/ , news and informantion, Q&A, you will see this: Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

So, this is the CHP's opinion on the matter. However, I have been pulled over once and yelled at twice by San Diego PD for lane splitting. Whenever I split lanes near a CHP, they tend to give me room to pass. When I see a city cop, I'm lookin' for another way around.

[/QUOTE]

My mistake, I was just quoting what a CHP motorcycle cop told me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great info Guys. My brother volunteered to drive me and tow the Gixxer. We'll arrive Sunday. I'm excited. Now I just got to find work when I get there.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you already have it reg in your name You shoulod NOT have any problems even with regards to milage Dmv may want to verify the vin #'s

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you already have it reg in your name You shoulod NOT have any problems even with regards to milage Dmv may want to verify the vin #'s
They did verify the Vin#, and the engine number that's stamped on the back of the tranny. It costed me about $135 for the registering of my bike, and getting a California drivers license with a bike endorsement. They made me take both written exams for car and bike. The whole process took about 3.5 hours.

Lane splitting is great. I don't feel so bad for not owning a car, especially with all the traffic here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts