Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I've got a couple questions about the SET valve and servo. I recently bought my first GSXR, (Not my first bike, this is not one of those threads) and was in the garage getting familiar with the bike and looking things over. I had read some posts and watched a couple Youtube vids on removing the valve/cables/servo, and since I had the right side off, I'd take a look at that too. I'm still on the fence about removing it, and may at some point in time. The bike is a k7 750, and basically stock, minus an Akrapovic slip on. My questions are these...

1) Is the SET valve supposed to move when you turn the ignition on? Some videos I've seen, when turned on, the valve closes, opens, then goes to it's set position. Mine does not. I've started it, revved it, and nothing. Now, I didn't rev it to the moon, just a couple quick blips. I tried looking at the connector to see if the wire had been de-pinned or cut, but the harness was pretty tight and I didn't have the time to get too deep into it. I did find that I could move the valve by hand, and it stayed where it was moved to, it didn't spring closed. It was in the open position when I found it, so I put it back open and left it.

2) If this is not normal, Is it possible that the bike has been re-mapped, eliminating the operation of the servo for the valve? I don't have any FI codes, light, or 'chec' on the dash I have noticed while riding it that the exhaust note sounds somewhat flat from about 2k-5k rpm, and from there up it sounds like it's on the pipe. I haven't experienced any backfiring, and very rarely any decel popping (rarely, as in twice, maybe) which could probably be attributed to it not being fully warmed up yet.

I'm the third owner. The first didn't own the bike for very long before the bank wanted it back, and the second is a friend of mine who took meticulous care of the bike. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff-

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
Yes, the set valve is supposed to move when the bike goes through the startup sequence. It's possible the ECU has been flashed, wire pulled from ECU or a servo buddy is installed. It's weird I feel that the set valve would be eliminated without at least disconnecting the cables so the valve goes and stays in default open position. You'll need to dig into it and find out what is going on with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sam. I wasn't sure. It did seem odd that I could move it like that. I'll start digging deeper into it if I have time this weekend and see what I can find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts