Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much oil does each fork take?
How much oil in MM from the top should I remove?
5w is stock is there an advantage to running a thicker oil? I 210 with full gear.
Anything else I should know that will aid me in my rebuild.

Thanks, in Advance
Eric

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
Do a site search for your manual. Follow it.

Do you have correct springs? No sense getting pedantic about oil weight if your springs and sag aren't even correct...

Are the forks stock?

What kind of riding?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,816 Posts
I'll assuming that you are using stock fork internals, no revalve or aftermarket cartridges or springs?

Oil capacity for each fork is 413mL
Fork oil height is 107mm

The stock fork springs are fairly good for someone in the 180'ish weight range, so you are a bit too heavy for them. I would not try to get around that by putting thicker oil in the forks. Old style damper rod forks could be tuned a bit using thicker or thinner oil. Newer cartridge type forks its not such a good idea. You have 2 types of damping at work, mechanical (springs) and hydraulic (fluid valving). You need more mechanical damping in the form of stiffer fork (and probably shock as well) springs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do a site search for your manual. Follow it.

Do you have correct springs? No sense getting pedantic about oil weight if your springs and sag aren't even correct...

Are the forks stock?

What kind of riding?
Great Points,

Do I have the correct spring probably not since I'm 210 with gear and I think the stock springs are good for 180ish. That being said I set the rider sag for 35mm front and rear and don't bottom out, I have a zip tie to reference my suspension stroke. I know with the correct spring the preload will have very few turns in and I have it turned in like 75% to get me to the targeted 35mm of rider sag.

I do mostly street, I hope to do at least one track day this year if not two.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll assuming that you are using stock fork internals, no revalve or aftermarket cartridges or springs?

Oil capacity for each fork is 413mL
Fork oil height is 107mm

The stock fork springs are fairly good for someone in the 180'ish weight range, so you are a bit too heavy for them. I would not try to get around that by putting thicker oil in the forks. Old style damper rod forks could be tuned a bit using thicker or thinner oil. Newer cartridge type forks its not such a good idea. You have 2 types of damping at work, mechanical (springs) and hydraulic (fluid valving). You need more mechanical damping in the form of stiffer fork (and probably shock as well) springs.
This is what I was looking for thank you. I'm going to run the 5w.

Yes all stock internals, I agree the springs are a bit light for my weight but I have some perload left so it's ok for me. I never had a problem with the bike bottoming out with set at 35mm of rider sag.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
Buy new springs. It's worth it.

A lot of people think that spring rate is simply to allow for proper sag height, it's not. Cranking on the preload will change the characteristics of rebound immensely. A couple hundo for new springs is a GREAT value.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy new springs. It's worth it.

A lot of people think that spring rate is simply to allow for proper sag height, it's not. Cranking on the preload will change the characteristics of rebound immensely. A couple hundo for new springs is a GREAT value.
I agree but I don't want to invest in this bike much, I would need to change the rear spring as well to have a matching set. I just need to replace my seals. I have a new 18 RSV4 so this 600 is kinda my scooter, I figured it was a hell of a lot better than a scooter to ride around LOL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take a look at the race tech site for spring calcs.

racetech dot com/ProductSearch/2/Suzuki/GSX-R600/2006-09

I just bought a Penske rear shock for my 2006 GSXR600 and put the 575 lb spring on it. I weigh around 220lb with gear. 190 lb without gear.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take a look at the race tech site for spring calcs.

racetech dot com/ProductSearch/2/Suzuki/GSX-R600/2006-09

I just bought a Penske rear shock for my 2006 GSXR600 and put the 575 lb spring on it. I weigh around 220lb with gear. 190 lb without gear.
Great suggestion I just looked, Seems like the rear spring is just barely ok for my weight, Front springs are just outside of ideal, I just don't want to invest any more cash on this bike. It's my go-to bike for longer rides and maybe a track day twice a year. I have an 18 RSV4 and the springs match perfectly to me. It rides really stiff, I like the soft plushness of the GSXR.

·
Registered
39 Posts
FYI, I got the Penske twin clicker, used, with 3 springs, for $500. New price is ~$1000 with one spring. Hope that helps. Rear springs usually sell for ~$125, front springs are usually a little less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts