Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im currently looking to buy/build an AR10 in .308. i have mostly eveything i want picked out, but im not sure what scope to get. I talked to a couple marksman and they suggested spending as much on the glass as you do for the gun. i have been looking and they suggested a LEUPOLD Mark 4...
I am looking at the 4.5-14X 50...or the 6.5-20x50..

My goal is to shot at 800-1000 yrds which is the maximum effective range for a .308 round i just want to make sure i can see what i am shooting at.. the 4.5-14 is about $400 cheaper, but i am willing to spend that if the scope gets me that much better clarity/ closer view of my target, does anyone have and experience with them? i looked though a 4.5-14 attached to a M107 and on low power i could see people that i couldnt with the naked eye...any input would be appreciated. thanks!

·
In the corner, wearing a sailor outfit.
734 Posts
We use the Mark IV with a TMR on or weapon system. They are decent for what we use ours for...We were banging 10 inch plates at 900 meters. However I think there are much better options. I'd check out Vortex optics. And check out their options. They have features that make them a bit more expensive than Leupold, but they make a big difference. They are VERY rugged and have excellent customer service. http://www.vortexoptics.com/

·
Registered
669 Posts
I prefer NightForce over Leupold. I run Leupold on my hunting rifles but the precision rifles have NightForce.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Cheap and scope are two word that never belong in the same sentence. I run leopold on all my hunting stuff. Although I nave never run their tactical stuff I have nothing but good to say about the company and products. My grandfather bought his first leupold in 1954. 4 years ago it got air in it and fogged. We sent it to leupold and they covered it under warranty 53 years later. I hear there are a lot of good choices now in the optics world but I live by the saying buy once cry once.

Let us know what you end up with and post some pics.:cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found what i think is a good deal....is a Mark 4 8.5-25X50 for 300 more than the 4.5-12...will the extra distance make it that much easier to identify my target??? how much will it affect what i am looking at on low power? has anyone use a scope of this power at 800+ yrds? i plan on using either a silhouette or something of that sort. i wont be able to get pictures due to me being deployed but once i get the gun.. i will get pictures posted..thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm curious, what is the intended use for this rifle? Hunting, long distance plinking, competition?

Leupold is very nice, I assume ur looking at the LR/T line, not the ER stuff, and I do like the 30mm tubes, but for the price of a typical Leupold LR/T, I could buy two Nikon Monarchs of similar spec.

just say'n...

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a 4.5x16 6500 on my custom .300 win mag I would say for hunting its got some good features good bang for the buck lol lol I think I paid 625 for it in matte :)2.5 x 10 just seems watever now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts