Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did 100 mile ride today with a friend and this happened to me a few times during the ride. I would be at a stop and try putting it into a gear and the gear indicator displayed nothing and I couldn't get it into any gear, I mean I finally did but it took like 10 seconds. Does anybody have any ideas what this would be? Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I've hit a few of those false neutrals. I don't remember exactly what a did to fix it. I think gave it a little gas and let out the clutch a tiny bit, hit the shifter and the slipped into gear.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This happened to me like 3-4 times today, I was just wondering if it was anything serious with the clutch? This did happen to me on my tl1000r a few times also. So is the a major problem or not one at all? kind a made me alittle nervous when it happened more than once.

Thanks

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Well, two things to think about.

1) How many miles have you put on the bike. Is the tranny sufficiently broken in. I noticed mine got much smoother once I was past about 1500 miles.

2) Is your clutch adjusted properly?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got over the 400 mile mark. Yeah the dealership I bought my bike from new all about the adjustmentof the clutch so it was done by him. He went to a seminar they had on the k5's before they were released and they told the people there about the clutch. So you think it is just because my bike really isn't broke in yet? I have heard that before.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Could be.

Maybe you need to adjust the position of your shifter so that you have more leverage on it. Make your shift very deliberate, don't just tap on the shifter so you know you're getting full engagement. Other than that, just do lots and lots of up and downshifting to break that thing in some more.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hasn't happened to me.

Last bike had a lot of false neutrals when I was gimp on the shifter, so I learned to be firmer. I doubt it's a serious problem, just follow through, don't just tap.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
It will go away with time. The tranny is still meshing/breaking in.

I will still re-iterate that if you guys don't know this stuff you might be on the wrong bike...

·
Registered
472 Posts
spoken like a true elitist hehe

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
No, not an elitist, just someone who figures that the bike is a bit much for some people.

But there are people that just ride 1000s around like cruisers...

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
It was a small complaint at the OZ launch as well.....They all said as more gear wearing happens, the issue should go away.
So get out there are ride the damn thing hard, changing gear just for the heck of it as many times as you can - then change up your oil again.
Also - adjust your gear lever down - as above, the 1 minute job will help immensley.
Si

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed on Wed at the track while shifting (clutchless) from 2nd to 3rd sometimes the indicator wouldn't display anything for 3-4 seconds then it would come back on and display a 3. And I was in gear the entire time.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry cockworth but I'm just nervous I do not want anything to heppen to this bike and this little thing made me nervous. So for me being nervous and wondering if there was anything wrong with the tranny I shouldn't be on this bike. Since I have been riding street bikes for over 10 years and this isn't my first 1000 I think you need to step aside and back off.

For the rest of you guys thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to see that this just didn't happen to me. Again thanks, I feel alot better now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts