Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I totaled my '06 600 on the track a month ago, but now thinking about how to replace it. Think I am going to gio with two used bikes with one as street and one as track, rather than one new one for street and track. Insurance covered my first wreck, but I can only say 'I was at a rider safety course at the track' so many times....

So......I am thinking about buying a cheaper 04/05 600 and not insuring it and have it be for track only. If I can spend $4k I should be fine...my K6 600 was worth $2k to salvage even when massively totaled ($13k estimate to fix), so if I wad this one, I am out somehwere around $2-$3k ($4k cost minus whatever it is worth to a salvage yard).

I have searched and found a thread on ~ the 10th page that shows how many miles people have gotten out of their '04/'05 gixxers...

I am looking at a 2005 with ~16k miles - says it has been maintained very well...I would get a dealer to check it out for mechanical condition before I buoght it.

Question is this - for a dedicated track bike, would you be concerned about having 16k miles assuming it checks out at a dealer, or would you look for a lower mileage that costs a bit more....

I am trying to keep costs down since if I wad this thing on a track it is likely on my dime.....

Thx in advance.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
for racing ya, 10k miles is a lot miles on an engine.

it is nothing like street riding, and for most TD people they don't run like a racer. they still run like they are on the street.

as you get faster you'll see, i freaking flog my motor compared to my first few adv. to the track experience.

w/e mileage is fine, but as you keep pushing it and get faster, it might go boom on you, but by then you'll be looking for another anyhow.

·
Registered
603 Posts
hmm... varied opinions, this thread will have. 16k miles street is nothing compared to track and racing. if it's stock engine, i'd take a 10k race mile engine still. the key in there is the maintenance and if it's stock engine. it wouldn't hurt to freshen it up though, especially if its raced and if they use a bmc race filter.

but if ya wanna be analytic ab out it, you have to consider how good the person is that you're buying a race bike from. if it's just a mid-packer, 10k probably will see less abuse than a top runner. and most top runners don't have +2 year old bikes if they want to stay qualified for contingency programs, especially Suzuki.

ymmv.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
well ya thats a pt, if your just a quick street guy getting it from a quick guy who races - not really fast.. it won't matter.

same principle with take off race tires

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
You also need to consider that most ex-racebikes don't get looked after as well as your average road riders pride and joy. once crashed then seem to forget things like oil changes, valve clearances, etc. because they now view it as the piece of shit it looks.
If you go for an ex-race one then don't get high mileage. The ti valves suck and once raced don't last forever. Cost-a-fortunem to replace!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
might not be always the case Tim. racers i know are diligent. why? if you're out on a weekend, the last thing you want happening is mechanical issues because you were lazy on checking something. now for looks, that might be a different issue. but anything mechanical, it's usually in a racer's best interest to be up to snuff since you're spending a lot of money being out there for the weekend.

·
Engine Tuning God
1,773 Posts
goldenset said:
might not be always the case Tim. racers i know are diligent. why? if you're out on a weekend, the last thing you want happening is mechanical issues because you were lazy on checking something. now for looks, that might be a different issue. but anything mechanical, it's usually in a racer's best interest to be up to snuff since you're spending a lot of money being out there for the weekend.
Wish you were one of my customers:) I get some terrible stuff through the door.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
yes, a racers is going to take care of his stuff.

i'm diligent with a lot of things (not exactly a big racer as of yet) but i do try and take care of wht i have. but my plastics??? zip tied

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.